We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back awesome Amsterdam!!! Loveee it

cypress
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back awesome Amsterdam!!! Loveee it

I originally posted this in Arnhem. So I am posting it for Amsterdam forum

My husband and I just got back last night from Amsterdam. We went to London and paris as well. Last stop for us was Amsterdam. I love the English,French and the Dutch!!!!! The Dutch in my opinion are very helpful and honest. If you stop one of them, they would take time and help you out. As a matter of fact we met a Dutchman in Paris when were trying to use the map they have in the bus stop. He was in pParis for a 4 day holiday. He was familiar to where we were going so he gave us detailed instruction on how to get there.

Amsterdam is such a cool place. Loved the canals. We took the Canal hop on hop off and that sort of worked well for us. We walked a lot so the second day we got the strip card for the tram. You buy them on info center or placed where they have a machine. Each time you ride the tram they stamp one strip and it is good for 1 1/2 hour. So you can go from one area to anothere in and out as long as it is within that 1 1/2 hour .

We stayed at Vondel park Hotel. OMG!!! It is awesome hotel for the amount of money we paid. (note: I think the hotel has another bldg. I saw some guest come out that bldg. and compalining how small the Bathroom and room they had.)Ours was right on the 5th floor of the main hotel. The room was spacious and clean! The bed was huge and they use duvet covers and down comforters. The bathroom was the best. It was a very nice treat after our very tiny hotel in Paris and London.

Make sure you get tickets ahead of time esp. Anne Frank house. It is a must. But beware, you have to climb steep staircase to see where the family hid. Now the Red light district. Out of this world! Women in skimpy bikini, standing, smoking eating using their cell phone in their rented window, waiting for customer. As we were walking by we actually heard a transaction going on.lol. And the "coffee houses" you just pass by and you can smell and inhale the marijuana. What a trip!

Weather wise, for the first 2 days we were there it was cloudy and raining. Not hard rain just cont shower or drizzle enough to get you wet if you don't have umbrella. So make sure bring a Raincoat with hood. The temp was cool but not cold. Just right. Then on our third day the sun came out.Make sure you vist flower market. The flea market that they have is almost the same as swap meet we have here in Los Angeles. Half new stuff and used. Prices were cheaper on some souvenirs we bought e.g Bags with amsterdam and caps.

Went on a day trip to Antwerp, Belgium. Took the train and it was not even 2 hours ride. Antwerp is the diamond capital of the world. It was a nice day trip..

Mentioned in this post
Arnhem
Arnhem
Gelderland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hotel Vondel
Hotel Vondel
1,561 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anne Frank House
Anne Frank House
51,397 Reviews
Red Light District
Red Light District
24,690 Reviews
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back awesome Amsterdam!!! Loveee it

Welcome to the forum, Glad you enjoyed your trip

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
333 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back awesome Amsterdam!!! Loveee it

And did you knew that Amsterdam was once the diamondcapital in the world...... next time your in Amsterdam don't forget to visit Coster Diamonds!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back awesome Amsterdam!!! Loveee it

I know. My husband and I decided to go to Amsterdam just because it was on the way back to Dusseldorf where we flew in and out of. Out of five European countries and 20 days, Amsterdam was, surprisingly, our favorite city.

I'd live there if the weather were better! :) I'm serious!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back awesome Amsterdam!!! Loveee it

Great trip report. Yes the Dutch are my favorite too. Amsterdam is a wonderful, magical place. I call it home of the happy, land of the free.

Can't wait to go again... ahhhh.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Northeast USA
Level Contributor
303 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back awesome Amsterdam!!! Loveee it

Thanks for the report! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back awesome Amsterdam!!! Loveee it

Thanks for the report and do come back soon! :-))

cypress
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back awesome Amsterdam!!! Loveee it

Thank you guys for the reply. I of course told my friends about beautiful Amsterdam..*sigh* and everybody is excited and I am planning another trip with my girlfriends this time. We are looking at the month of late April to May. Springtime so we can see all the flowers in bloom. I think there are tours we can take to see tulips and all that sort of things.How is the weather like in the Spring? Lots of rain?

I also want to visit Utrecht and other surrounding city/villages where they have castles.

We will go to Paris first and take the Thaly to centraal station.

Thanks again guys ,

Mwah!!!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Utrecht
Utrecht
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back awesome Amsterdam!!! Loveee it

FYI -

Last year in late April/early May the tulips were gone in the fields. But you would be able to make Queen's Day (April 30).

If I were you I'd make in more mid-April to assure the tulips were in the field. Every year is different though.

Mid-April may be cheaper also in regards to airfare.

Have fun - MMKoppes (sister-in-law of tulip farmers)

cypress
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back awesome Amsterdam!!! Loveee it

Hi MMKoppes,

Thanks for the very important info. Yes, we will book for early April. We are really interested on seeing tulips in bloom. Queen's day not sure what that it is, but will consult with google.

Marnie

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back awesome Amsterdam!!! Loveee it

Was in Amsterdam last year second week in April and the tulips were in full bloom. It was beautiful. Weather in spring can be nice or raining.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam