We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help help...hould i change my hotel???

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
great britain
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
help help...hould i change my hotel???

hi all

im a bit worried i have booked the victoria hotel for over new year but after reading about it im not to sure??? i was thinking about the swissotel on dam square? WHAT U THINK??

also what on over new year......is it a good time to visit the DAM??

thanks in advance folks

xx

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help help...hould i change my hotel???

Jet,

I've stayed at the Victoria and had no problems at all. I'm aware not all reports about this hotel are positive, but we found it clean, safe and quiet with friendly reception staff. We did opt for a superior room which was small but had a quality feel even though it seemed a little dated.

We had no cause to complain but we really only used the hotel as a good quality place to crash down in.

Of course it's all about opinions.

Good luck

Rod

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help help...hould i change my hotel???

Dont know what you are worried about , there is nothing wrong with Victoria Hotel. It has very good facilites and has a perfect location.

great britain
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help help...hould i change my hotel???

hey

cheers for the reply!

nah it was a few folk that i have heard from said that the Victoria was not really worth the money - the room were a bit dirty and that.......so i have gone with the Swissotel on dam square - you have any comments on that hotel or even better stayed in this one? i have booked a suite so it should be "sweet"

geoffboxer - since you are a bit of a expert on DAM do you have any ideas on what happens over new year? any suggestions on where to spend it? a club or a open air party????

just i have never been away over this time and its my first time in amsterdam??

cheers again

x

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: help help...hould i change my hotel???

Definately book yourself into a club if you do not wish to spend the evening in your hotelroom watching tv: the Dutch are family-people on a night like newyear, restaurants and most bars will kick you out by 9 pm.

Large-scale fireworks and partying will start EVERYWHERE by midnight but untill that time not a thing to do.......

In recent years I believe there is an outdoor programme on Dam-square, whith bands on stage (that's right, just around the corner from the swissotel).

Anyway, enjoy it!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help help...hould i change my hotel???

Yes that sounds fine , nothing wrong with Swiss either.

Fairly sound advice from El, the last poster. Better to find a club where you can come and go if thats possible. Afriad my knowledge of the club scene is not very good !! But you may miss out on the outdoor activities if its not possible.

There will still be some bars , mainly in the center that do stay open , but alot do close around 9pm. As stated fireworks everywhere but Chinese area around Zeedijk / Nieuwmarkt well worth alook round midnight. That area is also within easy reach of Dam Sq through the Red Light or along Damstraat and turn left. Have fun !

great britain
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: help help...hould i change my hotel???

cheers folks you have all been a great help!!!

i anyone does have any idea on what clubs would be good for new years eve - shout this way!!

im in to hip/hop r&b or funky house we are just looking for a popular place to have a fab nite!

if anyone knows how to get a hold of tickets for the clubs that would also be fab!!!!

cheers - i cant wait now!!!!

xx

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help help...hould i change my hotel???

We were in Amsterdam for New Years this year. There was a program on in Dam Square but we never saw it. We were wandering around down there at about 10 o'clock, looking for a place to sit and have a drink and wait for the show and midnight. Every bar, coffee house or other establishment for many blocks around was charging at least 25 euros just to get in. I do not remember too many places looking closed. We wound up walking back to our hotel at Leidseplein and had a couple at the hotel bar. We joined the mob in Leidseplein at midnight. Each of the bars around the square had its own fireworks and they took turns setting them off. Some were quite elaborate. (You could never do that in the US: too many people would be worried about law suits). It was pretty good time. I'm thinking of asking my wife if she wants to go back next year.