We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what can i possibly do there?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
what can i possibly do there?

I have been reading this forum now and have the impression that what can i do in Amsterdam but smoke dope and have s*x. I'm not old and not a prude but I am getting the impression there is not much else there? Help!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: what can i possibly do there?

It is easy to get that impression from the many posts that seem only concerned with where to get the best...you name it. But I am like you, and found many other things to do in Amsterdam. They have many museums: the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh, also churches, and the Anne Frank house which was very moving for me. The canal boat ride with wine and cheese was a great way to see the city. Take a look at a couple of guidebooks to get more ideas, and ...enjoy!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what can i possibly do there?

There is tons to do in Amsterdam. My daughter(22) went on a bike tour and had a great time. There are festivals there and the museums are wonderful. The VanGogh museum has special shows and we went when they had a music thing going on. The shopping is fun too. We didn't buy much but it was quite interesting. The boat ride was very nice too. We went to a cheese factory and saw windmills and wooden shoes being made. Met lots of nice people on our way. We spent 3 days and could have spent more time because there is so much to see and do. Here's a link to a website for the Amsterdam card which I recommend.

iamsterdam.com/visiting_exploring/services/i…

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what can i possibly do there?

Well its not a wise move to get that impression , as its completely false.

Guide books will help you be aware of whats on offer , but if you dont have one, just wander round and you will soon see whats what for yourself.

Buy a day ticket that will give you unlimited use of trams , buses and the metro within the city area.

There is very much more than s-x and smokes !!!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what can i possibly do there?

Amsterdam is a world capital and has the attractions such a city always has...it's just that the rarity of tolerance as practiced in The Netherlands is worthy of discussion.

Does history interest you? The main part of Amsterdam, the Canalgracht, was completed BEFORE the Puritans set sail for the New World...indeed, many left from The Netherlands, not England.

Does architecture interest you? Flemish architecture in unlike any other...

How about urban planning and zoning? Amsterdam was actively engaged in these activities in the 1500 and 1600's...setbacks from the canals have been regulated for 400 years...

Civil Engineering? This IS the place.

WWII? The Anne Frank House. Unbelievable seeing Anne's artwork and choice of cartoons and photos still displayed on the walls...untouched for 50 years.

Any interest in art? Van Gogh? Rembrandt? Modern?

I can only suggest you head into a bookstore or library and read some more about this fabulous city and country.

amsterdam
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what can i possibly do there?

ok iam from here and yes you can do more than smoke and lay down whit the locals go to the new citypart in the east amsterdam named Yburg or see the zoo aguarium enjoy the largest open air markt from the nederlands the albert cuip

go to the vondelpark and sit whit the locals in the sun join a bike ride whit the yello bananas go whit the free ferry to the north part and see amsterdam from the 16th hunderds hey just enjoy my city and be happy

Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what can i possibly do there?

Thanks to everyone! I was especially intrigued by prankster. I am a planner and didn't realize the setback/zoning history. Yes I love history and I have read several guidebooks but get more from reading posts from actual people who have experienced the city and this forum has far more posts on s-x and smoking pot than talk on museums and activities other than vices. Lets hear about these places!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what can i possibly do there?

There is so much to do in Amsterdam. I spent 3 days there last Nov. and felt I had barely scratched the surface. The museums, the canals, the architecture. Such an easy city to get around. The Anne Frank House really hit me emotionally. I can't even begin to imagine spending 25 months in utter silence and the dread of being caught. Then, the sheer terror of being found out. The Rijksmuseum is undergoing a major refurbishing which won't be done for another 3 years, but what they have on display is impressive. The canal cruises are fun. Just walking around the city was fun. Went to the Zoo - the oldest zoo in contintental Europe. So many places I wanted to get to. A wonderful city. Definitely plan on going back there.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: what can i possibly do there?

Also realize that The Netherlands arre quite small, and that there is an excellent train network.

Rotterdam, with very modern architecture and splendid museums, is only one hour away by train. Leiden, a nice historical small town, only 30-40 minutes.

And don't forget the vast sandy beaches with the sand dunes, not more than 30 minutes west of Amsterdam! Very nice in hot weather for sunbathing, and apart from that fantastic to make long or short walks. On most beaches are several restaurants, bistros etcetera.

Or rent a car and just drive through the country side and discover the vast, flat en most of all very green landscapes!

Also realize that the local Amsterdam people also want more than just smoking pot etcetera... In fact, they regard coffeeshops and the red light district as kind of tourist things..... (they prefer to smoke at home, if they smoke).

Good luck in making your choice, Turtle.

phoenix
Level Contributor
145 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what can i possibly do there?

Hi Turtle, interesting observation the site seemed to take a turn there for a while. More to do in A'dam than smoke pot. Sure that's one thing, but it's the least of it in my mind. I'm pushin' 40, but I still like to go out to the clubs (the music ones, not necess. the s*x ones!). There are tons of different events depending on the time of year. I'm going in June again with college girlfriends and plan to do the following:

- Stroll the city and look at the wonderful arch., see where we end up and just have dinner at the nearest interesting looking restaurant

- Hang out in Vondel Park and people watch

- Take coffee and drinks @ Leidseplein

- Go horseback riding in the Amsterdamse Bos

- Go antique shopping in the area around the museumplein

- Shop @ the street market near the Concert Gebouw (I think that's where it is...)

- Visit the Van Gogh museum

- Take a canal tour on a private boat

Other things of interest:

Take in a concert or ballet performance

Check out Ticketmaster for concerts

Dam Square

Flower Market

Street Performers

Brewery Tour

Zoo

City walking tour with a guide (learn about history)

The Hague

Go to the beach

Bike races

Westerkerk (climb the tower or see free concerts)

Scheepvaart Museum (see ships)

Zaanse Schans (Windmills)

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what can i possibly do there?

A thumb-through a copy of the Eyewitness Guide: Amsterdam in the local Barnes & Nobles should give you a much more appealing impression.

I'm no spring chicken and find Amsterdam to be very interesting with the canal house architecture, the general ambiance (trams, bikes, boats, bells dinging)...delicious Indonesian rijsttafel, movies with beer, and so on...

There are people who are attracted to the liberal smoking policies, and many act like they don't have 1/2 a brain, but don't let them keep you from such a beautiful city.