We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?

Hi TA Experts

We're a Sydney-based family of five looking for accommodation in Amsterdam over the New Year 2017-2018. Came across the site https://amsterdambeautifulrent.com/

It looks too good to be true so I sent an email and got a reply this morning which looks dodgy. I'm pretty sure it's a fake site - but can you experts confirm for me?

Just a warning to all those out there too.

11 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,450 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?

Just the latest iteration of this scam site. I noticed last night they must have paid for some google ads placement.

Your best bet is using site with an escrow-type payment system like airbnb or vrbo. There's also quite a few apartments listing on booking.com .

Edited: 7:06 pm, October 18, 2017
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?

You can rotate this Google Streetview of their office address and ask yourself if it looks like a property management location for upscale Amsterdam rentals. :-))

http://tinyurl.com/y8fnsb8z

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"--Mark Twain

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
12,058 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?

I think it is appropriate that 'beautifulrent' is almost (!) an anagram of 'fraudulent'

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,823 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?

If it looks too good to be true it probably is too good to be true.

There are lots of fraudulent apartment rental sites out there. Not just for Amsterdam but everywhere. Be VERY careful.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?

If for some reason you don't want to use Airbnb or similar then we have used this company in the past for renting apartments for guests and sometimes for large groups visiting us who required multiple apartments: http://www.shortstaygroup.com/

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,848 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?

Whois info does not give much confidence either

https:/…amsterdambeautifulrent.com

Site has only been up since this Monday

DOMAIN INFORMATION

Domain:amsterdambeautifulrent.com

Registrar:NameCheap Inc.

Registration Date:2017-10-16

Expiration Date:2018-10-16

Office address is under the HIE at Sloterdijk. I don't think there is an office of any kind there. Run away.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?

I'm sure these people will fix the office address credibility issue in the next version of their website.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?

Thanks all. Obviously we've chosen probably the busiest period of the year to try and find accommodation so it was very suspicious when amsterdambeautifulrent.com had lots of availability at very reasonable rates. (AIrBnb for example almost fully booked for our dates apart from the ones that were about $2,000 per night!)

I have to say that the amsterdambeautifulrent.com website does look very convincing and sometimes when viewing a site in translation you often see a few little errors or inconsistencies - even in genuine businesses. But their email was very suspicious with lots of messages about how I should pay RIGHT NOW to get additional discounts.

So when booking a month-long trip when we're using about 8-9 different accomodations it is really hard to separate the genuine from the fake. As everyone else said, do your due diligence before sending money.

Thanks to everyone here who helped out. We eventually booked with the Yays group of apartments.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,848 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?

Good choice

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,057 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?

Well done for being suspicious and coming here to check things out. You've undoubtedly saved ourself a world of hurt and misery!

Reply to: Is amsterdambeautifulrent.com a fraudulent site?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted