We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canal boat cruise, which one?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Canal boat cruise, which one?

My husband and I are visiting Amsterdam in the summer for our wedding anniversary and really want to take a cruise on the night of our anniversary. The problem is I do not have a clue where to start? We have never been to Amsterdam before, can you just book when you get there? Where do they leave from? We are staying in the Museumplein in Amsterdam. Which is the best one to go on? How much are they? What do they include? Please, any info would be appreciated....

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
46 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canal boat cruise, which one?

You can book when you are in the city. Probably can make arrangements through your hotel. Prices are pretty resasonable but vary depending whether it is just the ride, ride and drinks and/or dinner or a private cruise. They are easy to arrange.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canal boat cruise, which one?

Multimap.com has the map near your hotel marked , click from the front page to zoom in or try the longest link I've ever seen so TA made me chunk it up :-

uk8.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi…

gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=mercator&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw

=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=100000&multimap.x=222&multimap.y=147

There are 2 or 3 boat companies that start from Stadhouderskade (road S100) near the Park Hotel and Rijksmuseum. We tried one, the tour was the same as if you got on near the Centraal station where there are several more companies. We just walked up and got the standard daytime tour (vouchers included with Amsterdam Pass, great activity for when yo're tired of walking). I think there are some that do evening tours with lights and perhaps even dinner (tour takes about an hour).

UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canal boat cruise, which one?

Thanks for the info, really appreciated. I'm still interested in any further info???

Maryland,USA
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Canal boat cruise, which one?

I'am in Amsterdam now. And I like to plan my days and everything but There is so much going on here. I would just come and check them out when you get here... I will be taking a boat tour either tomorrow or the next day... I will let you know how it went..

Booking-- You can just walk up the day you want to take the tour.... YOu can get your hotel to reserve you spaces..

Departure--- I will be leaving from Central Station... You walk out of the train station and you can't miss them..

Price-- It depends on what you want to do.. A boat tour comes with the AMsterdam pass. Or you can buy a ticket..

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canal boat cruise, which one?

Find the Heineken Brewery on your map and walk towards it. Just outside on the other side of the canal is a boat trip, and when we went 2 years ago it was the only one with a live, comical commentory you wear multilingual headphones with all the others. After the boat trip take a wander round the brewery it's well worth a visit.

UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canal boat cruise, which one?

Thanks for all the info. I usually love organising everything in advance, but it sounds like there are loads to choose from when we get there. Everyone keeps asking me why i am bothering to go to Amsterdam and that it's just for stag and hen do's (not that they've bothered to visit). I just want to experience everything about Amsterdam and thought a canal cruise would be fab. Any other info on other attractions would be great. Also any further info on canal cruises would be great too?? Especially Bryce0808, if you are there at the moment (lucky you!) I would really appreciate further info off you. Cheers :-)

Denver
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Canal boat cruise, which one?

Hi just got back, besides the novelty of the redlight district there is the floating flower marcket , museums, a great shopping street w/ clothes and shoes. A day trip to to flower field and the Kukenhoff (sp) flower garden is fantastic and romantic. Great food and beer abound! DOnt miss the waffles and pom fritts w/ mayo.very different than USA. Have a great time

Maryland,USA
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Canal boat cruise, which one?

bunkleboy-- YOu will have a great anniversary... There are many different companies and types of cruises. I took "Canal Bus" from Central station. it was 16euros for a day pass. It stops at 11 sites throughout city. you should google amsterdam canal cruises... Canal bus is great to see the canals and for when you get tired of walking!!! any questions just ask!!!

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canal boat cruise, which one?

The 'cruise' boats directly in front of the Hard Rock do several evening cruises, ranging from 13.50E to @ 45.00E. The least expensive tour offers beverages at a charge, the more expensive ones include dinner and drinks.

We did both a day and an evening cruise and enjoyed both.

Be sure to ck prices, they vary greatly for the day cruises and are basically the same... why pay 25E when you can do the same ride for 7E?

Kaiserslautern...
Level Contributor
165 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canal boat cruise, which one?

We were in Amsterdam last weekend. We took the Museum Canal ride. We were quite disappointed with this tour. After leaving Centraal Station, this was the first booth that we encountered. This seemed like it would be good tour. Unfortunately, we didn't realize that there were other canal boat rides located across the street from the train station.

The tour was pre-recorded. At certain points along the way, the "guide" would select a program and play it. Tidbits of information were played in several different languages.

Be sure to take your time with selecting a tour. There are plenty to chose from.