We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keukenhof gardens

1 post
Save Topic
Keukenhof gardens

i will be in amsterdam for 6 hours on march 21st. from what i searched the gardens do not open until the 23rd. is there still a way i can visit the gardens?

NL
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keukenhof gardens

No, closed as you state yourself. That early in the season there will not be that flowers blooming any way.

Edited: 8:08 pm, February 16, 2017
austin, tx
Level Contributor
137 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keukenhof gardens

When is the earliest you would visit to see flowers?

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keukenhof gardens

lilypearl - See the OP.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"--Mark Twain

austin, tx
Level Contributor
137 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keukenhof gardens

So the day they open on the 23rd the flowers are in full bloom and this is a good time or is it best to wait til April? Again, when is the earliest you would suggest visiting to see flowers in bloom?

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keukenhof gardens

The park is beautiful from opening day. There will be more early bloomers like daffodils, hyacinths and crocus.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,859 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keukenhof gardens

If you have to work to a schedule, then the "best" time to plan (i.e. the most reliable tulip-bloom-wise) for a visit to Keukenhof is during the first two weeks in April.

If you have the luxury of being flexible, you can simply keep an eye on the reports on how blooming is progressing this season. Some years it's early, some it's late.

Edited: 4:25 am, February 22, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Keukenhof
Keukenhof
10,439 Reviews
Lisse, The Netherlands
Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keukenhof gardens

Is there a site we can check about bloom? (Since some of us travel from far far away?)

It will be a shame to travel there specifically for that reason and miss it. I read in the TA thread here that they eventually cut the flowers when they are in full bloom even before the gardens officially close (21 May).

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,327 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keukenhof gardens

Watch this very forum, every year a thread is started and updated 2 x per week with the latest sightings in the fields and the Hof...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Hof
Hof
87 Reviews
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
4,935 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keukenhof gardens

"I read in the TA thread here that they eventually cut the flowers when they are in full bloom even before the gardens officially close"

The flowers in the Keukenhof are not cut. The flowers in the commercial fields around the Keukenhof are cut. Those tulips are not grown for their flowers, but for the growing of the bulbs. If the flowers would not be cut, the bulbs would grow less because the plant has to divide it's energy between bulb and flower. If the flowers are cut, all the energy of the plant can go towards the bulbs. That's why, the tulips are cut or headed in the first weeks of May.

You can still visit the Keukenhof, but if you also want to visit the surrounding flower fields it's best to visit earlier.

Mentioned in this post
Keukenhof
Keukenhof
10,439 Reviews
Lisse, The Netherlands
Maryland
Level Contributor
4,606 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keukenhof gardens

Great explanation Breda_Travelgirl --

People often incorrectly assume the huge commercial growing fields actually ARE the Keukenhof. Maybe people even wrongly think the fields are where cut flowers come from, which they do not, as you so well explained. Cut flowers are grown year 'round in large commercial greenhouse facilities.

Also, it's impossible to predict months and even weeks in advance when peak tulip blooms occur, only a guess-timate based on past years averaging. Of course this makes it difficult to plan travel months in advance, but that's Mother Nature for you.

Mentioned in this post
Breda
Breda
North Brabant Province, The Netherlands
Keukenhof
Keukenhof
10,439 Reviews
Lisse, The Netherlands