We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hour layover in Amsterdam?

Minnesota
5 posts
Save Topic
7 hour layover in Amsterdam?

We will have a seven hour layover in Amsterdam at the end of February. We have had many layovers in Amsterdam, and have never gone out to see the city. Any suggestions for a quick trip to see the city and be back to the airport to catch our flight?

Thanks in advance!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hour layover in Amsterdam?

Take the train in the airport's basement. You get off at Amsterdam Centraal. Exit the train station, walk maybe 300 feet straight ahead on Damrak (can't miss it: it's the only street facing the exit), and take a canal tour. It lasts one hour, with multilingual comments, and it is a magnificent way to discover Amsterdam. You will have time (about 1 hour) left to wander around and grab s/thing to eat. Open your ears wide: Dutch is beautiful : ) The Jordaan is a very pleasant neighbourhood, within 10 minutes from the train station. If you are there at office hours, get a free booklet at the GVB office, in the white building right at the exit of the train station: it holds a restaurant, the Tourist Office ("VVV") and the GVB - they sell tickets for publiuc transportation in the city. Ask for the brochure that explains how does the transportation work: right in the middle of it, there is a good basic map, with highlighted place of interest. Before leaving, ask the clerk to point you out, on the map, where the Jordaan is, and the Red Light District, if you are so inclined. Better to get a map from them, than lose precious time waiting in line at the Tourist Office.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hour layover in Amsterdam?

I'm just chiming in to "second" the idea of jumping on a canal boat tour. My first visit to Amsterdam was in 2004 and I only had a day there. My hosts (who lived there) insisted we take a canal boat tour, and WOW was it great! Not expensive either! Well worth it....I got to see so much of this beautiful city, while slowly gliding through lovely canals and learning more than I could have imagined from the narration (which was in French, German, Dutch and English). If Amsterdam works her magic on you, as it did me, you'll be back! My husband and I are planning on celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary there on a houseboat in the old city this coming May! Enjoy your first-time visit.

3. Re: 7 hour layover in Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:05 am, March 29, 2007
4. Re: 7 hour layover in Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 pm, August 23, 2009