We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alkmaar help, please

Which Alkmaar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
300 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Alkmaar help, please

We plan on making Alkmaar our base for three or four nights in the spring of 2011. We tend to be budget travelers, and would prefer a small family hotel or B&B in Alkmaar to a larger, more luxurious establishment. However, we also know that we can find a very reasonably priced hotel in Amsterdam using Priceline, probably for less than we would pay for most of the lodging in Alkmaar. Does anyone have any recommendations for an Alkmaar hotel or pension for less than 80 euros? We don't mind stairs, but do prefer to have our own bathroom. And would like something reasonably convenient to the train station and the central area.

Another question: am I correct in assuming that buses go from the Alkmaar train station to the center? What would be the approximate cost of a bus? What would be the cost of a taxi for a distance of about 2 or 3 kilometers?

Thank you so much for taking time to answer; we appreciate your help and welcome any suggestions.

Carol

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alkmaar help, please

Alkmaar is a very nice place to base yourself. I used to be a regular visitor there a few years ago when good friends of mine had a townhouse on the Lutik Oudorp.

have you looked at a map? You can walk from the station to the centre in around 10 minutes if by the centre you mean the Market Square.

Taxi for 3km will be around 10 euros. Bus planner is in English

http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/default.aspx

Sorry can't help you with the accomodation but you could try searching here

www.vvvalkmaar.nl/v_beheer/search.asp…

Veel geluk

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
300 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alkmaar help, please

Thank you, RonaldoC. Very helpful information!

Carol

United States
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alkmaar help, please

There are no real budget hotels in Alkmaar. If you want to pay less than 80 euro's night, you could go to Familie Hotel Alkmaar. They have have an 8.8 at booking.com and have rooms at different locations in the old center of Alkmaar. Most people like this hotel, but they DO have shared bathrooms. So if you realy don't like that, you have to pay around 85-90 euro a night at Amrâth Hotel (both the center and the trainstration are a five minute walk away) or hotel Stad and Land (near the trainstation).

Edited: 3:43 pm, November 13, 2010
East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alkmaar help, please

We stayed at Egmond aan Zee a short bus trip from Alkmaar, but which might suit your budget better. It was EU195 per week for 4 people, plus EU1 pppd tax. The summerhouse consisted of Kitchen/lounge, small bathroom, double bedroom and an area for 2 single beds. The price included all linen, cleaning and use of bikes.

Not sure on the cost of a return trip to Alkmaar. Our son and DIL used it frequently. Do ask Ingrid for a price for you.

Zomerhuis Bielfeldt . bieldfeldt@quicknet.nl

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
300 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alkmaar help, please

Thanks, Motto! and gardenboffin. Is anyone familiar with Pension Onassis in Alkmaar? They seem to be near the center, and offer a room for 70 euros per night with private bath. (At one time we would not at all have minded sharing a bath, but as we age, we find a private bath to be a real convenience.)

Carol

United States
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alkmaar help, please

Dear Carol,

It would be great to have you in Alkmaar. I guess the hotel Onassis is okay. I have to check something about it, and I will tell you about it if you want. I was curious why people from Texas want to go to Alkmaar. You also wrote in other posts that you would like to go to Langedijk and that your husbands ancestors are from that place. The place you mention is not Broek op Langedijk near Alkmaar, but it is in the municipality Ooststellingwerf in Friesland. Please check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ooststellingwerf . The Dutch version is even more extended. I would love it if you would come to Alkmaar, but if you're looking for the anchestors of your husband, you shouldn't come here, but visit that area in Friesland. My ancestors are also from that region. It was called poor land in the past. The farmers worked hard, but the land didn't give so much as land in other regions. Many people left this area and went to other more fertile places. So now I am in Alkmaar and you in Texas;) If you want me to translate things or search things for you, please let me know. We are relatives;)

Edited: 6:11 pm, November 14, 2010
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
300 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alkmaar help, please

Dear Motto1,

Thanks for your advice and kind offer to help. There is some confusion as to where my husband's ancestors came from; past misspellings make it unclear whether it was Broek op Langedijk or the area you mentioned in Friesland. Another came from Naarden, so we will have to go there, too! In ay case, they emigrated to New York in the mid 1600's.

It looks as it there will be plenty in Alkmaar to occupy a few days; we are leisurely tourists and enjoy wandering around. Plus, we will be there for National Windmill Day, which we are looking forward to.

Please do let us know if you find out anything else about Pension Onassis.

Thanks again,

Carol

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,916 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alkmaar help, please

if visiting naarden. be sure to visit naarden vesting ( fortress ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naarden

United States
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alkmaar help, please

This is a site where you can rate pensions:

http://www.uit123.nl/alkmaar/pension-onassis

Onassis has a 6.5 rating which is about average.

This is their official website: http://www.pensiononassis.nl/en/index.html

It is very small. I've never heard about it before you mentioned it. The pension only has one honeymoonsuite and two double rooms. They serve breakfast and it is run by the owners Peter and his wife Tiny(A Dutch female name, don't worry the rooms don't seem to be tiny;)

If you are interested in how life was in Holland in the past, you should visit an openair museum. There is one near Alkmaar in Enkhuizen. That's easy to visit by by train. Take the train to Hoorn. When you arrive in Hoorn you must change to a train to Enkhuizen. At Enkhuizen, you can walk in 5 minutes to the museum. The trip from Alkmaar to the museum should last less than 45 minutes. There is also an openair museum in Arnhem, which is bigger but that one is far away and more difficult to reach by public transport.

United States
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alkmaar help, please

Site of openair museum near Alkmaar:

www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/en/4/the-museum/

It is opened from the 2nd of April. In winter some indoorthings are opened, but it is less interesting.

Get answers to your questions about Alkmaar