We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Efteling logistics - when to visit and car vs train?

Which Kaatsheuvel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Efteling logistics - when to visit and car vs train?

I am sure my 6 year old daughter would LOVE this park, so we are thinking about giving it a try for 2-3 nights in one of the UK school holidays. It is easy for us to fly into Schiphol.

I am tempted to travel in the Easter holidays (for us 5 April-20 April). Am I right in thinking that Dutch schools are NOT on holiday then? No offence, but a quiet time without queues would be lovely.

We don't mind wearing lots of layers, but would we be better waiting until the end of August (are more rides open?).

i think we would prefer to stay in the Efteling Village Bosrijk so that we have space to relax in the evening when our daughter sleeps. I notice that the apartments have a fridge and microwave, no stove (but we can work around this is there is somewhere local to buy bread, cheese, cold meat and wine).

How easy is it to get to the park by train (or bus) from Schiphol? Can we just offer Euros on a shuttle bus from the train station (which is best?). Could we hire bikes to go to a local supermarket or are there shops on the site?

Is it better to hire a car so we can go to a local supermarket and do a bit of sightseeing on our way down from Schiphol? We would happily spend a day either side of a short stay to go to the park (or drive straight there).

I welcome any other ideas or suggestions

Thank you

I would prefer to stay

4 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,207 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Efteling logistics - when to visit and car vs train?

Hi there,

Indeed generally Dutch schools don't have a holiday then, though towards the end of your planned period it's Easter which generally is quite busy.

See www.efteling.nl: train Schiphol to Tilburg with one transfer and then a bus. You would indeed have to rely on bike (or car) to do shopping as Bosrijk, just like Efteling itself, is quite on the edge of town without shopping centres closeby. Bosrijk has a small convenience store but of course prices higher than in town. The area has quite a few other interesting sights like nature/walking areas and industrial history museums, and on your way airport-Efteling you could e.g. do a brief stop in Kinderdijk. Hence a car is not essential but could help in some aspects.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Efteling logistics - when to visit and car vs train?

National school holidays are from 26 april until 5 may but for this vacation schools can decide themselves. So some might have already vacation from april 19.

So best for you would be to visit the park before april 18 and not on a weekend. See this calendar and pick a 'green ' day:

https:/…Plan-je-bezoek-kalender.html

Edited: 5:07 am, February 03, 2014
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Efteling logistics - when to visit and car vs train?

Thank-you for the replies. The link to "busy times" was very helpful (I didn't find that on the English pages).

I think we will probably hire a car because I've just realised that we could meet up with some friends living in Gent (Antwerp looks about 1/2 way on my map).

Thanks again

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Efteling logistics - when to visit and car vs train?

Antwerp is a nice place to meet but you might as well drive to Ghent as well which is also very nice.

Reply to: Efteling logistics - when to visit and car vs train?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kaatsheuvel