We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra day in Prague or day trip(s) around Eindhoven?

SoCal
10 posts
Save Topic
Extra day in Prague or day trip(s) around Eindhoven?

This will be my first trip to Europe. I plan to vist friends near Eindhoven, then go to Prague for a few days.

I can choose 3 days or 4 days in Prague (which means 6 days or 5 days around Eindhoven/Netherlands).

Would it be better to stay an extra day in Prague? or better to use the time for some 1-2 day trips near Eindhoven?

And where would you recommend for day trips?

(I simply enjoy walking around, exploring, doing some light shopping, trying local foods)

Thanks in advance!!

Drunen, The...
Level Contributor
290 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra day in Prague or day trip(s) around Eindhoven?

For things to do you could check the tourist office website of Eindhoven: http://www.vvveindhoven.nl/en/

Eindhoven has a quite modern city center and it is not very big. I would prefer Prague as it is a beautiful city with much more history and scenery.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra day in Prague or day trip(s) around Eindhoven?

Eindhoven is not very "scenic" - partly because much of the city centre was bombed during the war. But 's-Hertogenbosch (also called Den Bosch) is only a short train trip (20-30 min.) away, so you could visit that. In Eindhoven, there's the Van Abbe modern art museum, the Daf (car) museum, the "Designhuis", the Historic Open air museum, the museum "Kunstlicht in de Kunst" (modern art in combination with some Philips company history - not a big museum but in the centre and well worth a visit)

Drunen, The...
Level Contributor
290 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra day in Prague or day trip(s) around Eindhoven?

Let me rephrase: I'm not sure how you are going to fill the days with your friends (5-6 days) but I can imagine you are going to look around a bit already. Of course e.g. Den Bosch is nice to wander around (historic city with monumental buildings). Also you could travel by train to Limburg (e.g. Maastricht) which has quite nice scenery. Also even Amsterdam can be easily reached for a day trip. Nevertheless I think Prague would be well worthwhile the extra day considering you already stay 5 days in/around Eindhoven. Of course it mostly depends on what you are doing the 5 days.

SoCal
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra day in Prague or day trip(s) around Eindhoven?

Thanks so much DutchJC and JanToo, that's very helpful!

For the time around Eindhoven, I plan to spend 2-3 days with friends and possibly 1-2 days out on my own (so they don't feel obligated to play tour guide every day).

I'll consider Limburg, Den Bosch, and Amsterdam.

How about Rotterdam? Is that worth visiting? Is it much different from Amsterdam?

Also, would it be possible or worthwhile to squeeze in a 1-2 day trip to Bruges, Paris, or a nearby country? (forgive my terrible geography)

Thanks!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,596 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extra day in Prague or day trip(s) around Eindhoven?

Hi there,

Rotterdam is quite different from Amsterdam, but a bit like Eindhoven (but triple its size). Also lots of modern architecture due to WW2 damage.

Trips to e.g. Belgium or France would depend a bit on your mode of transport. It's not an easy connection by train (transfer in Dordrecht and then another one in Antwerp for the Brugge or Paris trains); rental car would work expect for the parking in those towns. Aachen and Düsseldorf in Germany are easier (direct train Eindhoven-DUS a few times a day), and by implication also the rest of the Ruhr area. And in Belgium, the city of Liege is only 30 mins by train from Maastricht which is 1 h from Eindhoven.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Drunen, The...
Level Contributor
290 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extra day in Prague or day trip(s) around Eindhoven?

Indeed without a car I would limit it to places more easily reached by public transport.

Dubai
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Extra day in Prague or day trip(s) around Eindhoven?

Hi there!

I'm also going to den bosch, coz my friend is telling about the eftling park.. sounds magical so i also want to go there.

However, I don't know how can go there from Paris by Train..

Can anyone help me.. thanks! :)

8. Re: Extra day in Prague or day trip(s) around Eindhoven?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, February 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Eindhoven