We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maastricht and Cologne Carnivals

Which Maastricht hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Topic
Maastricht and Cologne Carnivals

I will be in Brussels in February and I am considering going to either Cologne or Maastricht on the Monday of Carnival. I know the Rose Monday parade takes place in Cologne. What carnival events take place in Maastricht on Monday? Also, should I attempt to drive from Brussels to Cologne or Maastricht, or should I take the train?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
888 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maastricht and Cologne Carnivals

Train travel between Brussels and Cologne is super efficient: there are several high speed trains daily, and if you book well ahead (3 months), tickets are quite cheap. Plus, the train is a hassle free way to get from city center to city center, without having to worry about parking your car.

Between Brussels and Maastricht there's no direct train. Take an Intercity train to Liege Guillemins instead, and change there for a slower train to Maastricht. Still very doable in a day; I often travel between Maastricht and Brussels myself. No need to book these tickets in advance.

The main carnival events in Maastricht are:

- Big parade on Sunday 15th, starting in the Wyck district at 13:33hr

- Family parade on Monday 16th Feb, starting at 14:11hr. In the evening there's a traditional dancing event (cramignon) in Maastricht's market square, starting at 20:33hr.

At the moment, the last train of the day back to Liege leaves Maastricht at 23:11hr, but you'd have to make sure there are still trains going from Liege to Brussels that late. To be on the safe side, you would have to take an earlier train back to Belgium at 21:11 or 22:11.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maastricht and Cologne Carnivals

And in Maastricht, don't show up without a costume! http://bit.ly/1swjitv

…knaw.nl/cms/…carnaval-trein-500.jpg

Edited: 5:35 am, August 09, 2014
Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
719 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maastricht and Cologne Carnivals

If you're not used to drive in Europe, i would recommend the train. But....maybe you want to put the pedal to the meddle on the German Autobahn ;-))

Either Maastricht or Kölln, be sure to book your hotel well in advance. Imagine Mardi Gras circumstances, but the weather is probably not as good!

We've been to Nola a couple of years ago....boy it was HOT!! Very nice city though!

Edited: 7:43 am, August 09, 2014
4. Re: Maastricht and Cologne Carnivals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 11, 2015