We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maastricht family/local restaurants

Which Maastricht hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
159 posts
244 reviews
Save Topic
Maastricht family/local restaurants

Dears,

i will be in Maastricht for few hours during lunch time , is there any old/local restaurants run by family? this is what i'm looking for

Thanks in Advance,

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
719 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maastricht family/local restaurants

What kind of food? Price? Where?

A little more info, please!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
159 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maastricht family/local restaurants

traditional / typical / or any family business doesn't matter the food the concept is the matter , i never been to Maastricht so where ill keep it on you :)

thanks in advance

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
719 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maastricht family/local restaurants

If your looking for some traditional "Limburg" food, i would go to Cafe Sjiek; not far from "Helsgate".

Very popular and casual Bistro. Be prepaired to wait, if you're going around 6pm. Terras on the sidewalk, weather permitting!

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188575-d8…

Open weekdays at 5pm-11pm; Sat & Sun:noon-11pm

Go for the Fries with "Zuurvlees"

…photobucket.com/image/…146.jpg

I know, doesn't look very inviting, but is very good with mayo!

or

Rabbit with prunes

Even more casual would be Frituur Reitz on the Market Square in downtown where can grab a a bag of fries on the go and eat them on the steps of City Hall. The fries with zuurvlees & mayo, or the frites and frikandel speciaal(mayo-curry-chopped onions) are wellknown by Maastricht tourists! Can also be very busy.

One of Limburgs specialties is Rijstevlaai met slagroom(ricepie with whip cream) which is sooooo good!!

stuurmanbroodenbanket.nl/wp-content/uploads/…

It's pastrie, not real food, but this is a must if you are in Maastricht. Almost every bakery has it. I would go to Bakkerij Souren‎; Vijfharingenstraat 14 in downtown in a smal alley next to Vroom & Dreesman(big departementstore, which serves some decent food in their cafe La Place, by the way!).

Maastrichts best bakery however is in Wijck across the St.Servaasbridge:

http://www.royale.nl/

Wycker Brugstraat 13

Hope this helps a bit,

Gr

Edited: 6:01 am, May 21, 2012
Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
719 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maastricht family/local restaurants

I forgot,

when you're coming soon, maybe the asparagus is something you might like. It's season for the asparagus now, and it's on almost each menu.

It's a local delicatesse!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
159 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maastricht family/local restaurants

thank you very much i really appreciate , instead of having local lunch is there anything else to do as i told u i have very limited time like from 3 pm and leaving around 7 pm

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
719 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maastricht family/local restaurants

Wow, that's very little time to enjoy the real beauty of Maastricht.

Just strolling throught Maastricht's old streets, will be an afternoon filling program with lots to see on your way.

If you'd like i could make a walking plan for you in google maps.

When will you visit?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
159 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maastricht family/local restaurants

awesome ! 7th of june

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
719 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maastricht family/local restaurants

You're a man (or woman) of few words, hey ;-))

What would be your starting point?

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
719 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maastricht family/local restaurants

From Market Square walk into Spilstraat(McDonalds is on your left hand). After 50mtr. you can enter the shopping center Entre Deux(3 levels of shops). Exit on the other side and you will pass a bookstore in a church called Selexis(worth taking a peep inside)

The Vrijthof is just around the corner, and will be lovely for a drink on one the many sidewalk cafes.

Exeting the Vrijthof on the other side, take 1st str. on your left=Platielstraat. Walk this street to the end and go right into Wolfstraat and you'll end up at another nica square(square of our beloved lady) with again lots of sidewalk cafes and the Basilica.

At the end of the square, in the righthand corner you'll enter Koestraat. At the end go left in Ridderstraat. At the end go left at Achter de oude Minnenbroeders. At the end go right in St.Bernardusstr, and go under Hellsgate, and go right just after passing the Hellsgate. Walk through the park to your righthand corner. Here's Cafe Sjiek i mentioned before.

Grabe a bite!

At Cafe Sjiek i could make an even more beautifull walk, but given youre limited time, maybe it's best to return from here!

At Sjiek go right into St.Pietersstraat and follow this street for a while. (It wil turn into Minckelersstraat after 15 minutes), and you will end up Achter het Vleeshuis where you were before.

Go left and immediately right again into Vijfharingenstraat (great Bakery Souren there!). You'll end up in the main shopping street Grote Straat.

When, coming out of Vijharingenstraat, you walk straight ahead, you'll end up at the Market Square again.

Here's the route in Google maps:

http://maps.google.nl/maps?saddr=Markt+78,+6211+Maastricht&daddr=50.850194,5.690486+to:Dominicanerplein+to:Vrijthof+to:Achter+het+Vleeshuis+to:Koestraat+to:Ridderstraat+to:Achter+de+Oude+Minderbroeders+to:Helpoort+to:Begijnenstraat+to:Minckelersstraat+to:Nieuwstraat&hl=nl&ll=50.849795,5.68904&spn=0.005764,0.016512&sll=50.850531,5.692053&sspn=0.001434,0.004128&geocode=FcDrBwMdWNRWACl7U7U2uOnARzHlqfSod_5axg%3BFZLpBwMddtRWAA%3BFRbpBwMdDM9WAA%3BFefjBwMd2s5WAA%3BFcrkBwMd_txWAA%3BFfLaBwMdYt1WAA%3BFdDZBwMdeOBWAA%3BFSraBwMdIONWAA%3BFRfXBwMdzeJWAA%3BFR3XBwMdPtxWAA%3BFf3kBwMdodhWAA%3BFXLsBwMdctdWAA&gl=nl&dirflg=w&mra=mi&mrsp=11&sz=19&t=m&z=17

This should be a nice walk and very doable within 4 hours, including a nice meal at Sjiek and/or a drink on a sidewalk cafe somewhere!

Enjoy!!

Edited: 1:24 pm, May 21, 2012
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
159 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maastricht family/local restaurants

bomb!!! thank you!!!!