We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 Hours in Maastricht!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
24 Hours in Maastricht!

Hi there! We're going to be in Maastricht for 24 hours from 5pm on a Wednesday to 5pm on a Thursday...we're staying in a hostel in the cebtre of the city...where should we go and what should we do?! Are there any must sees, must eats, must drinks etc?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 Hours in Maastricht!

You should have a drink at a terrace on the Vrijthof and probably visit the church at Vrijthof. There is also another church that has been converted into a book store. It looks great.

You can take a boat trip down the river but personally I didn't think it was worth the money. Definitely go over to the river though.

If you have time to spare you could do trip to St Pieter's tunnels, it's not far from the city centre. These were dug out to get a certain stone out of the hill.

In the middle of the city is a tourist info centre, you might go there for information too. This is their website: http://www.vvv-maastricht.eu/home.html?lang=2

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
264 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 Hours in Maastricht!

It depends a bit on what your preferences are, and when you are visiting, but what I personally like is just wandering around the old part of the centre (next to the old city wall, can't think of the street names now, perhaps someone else can), and indeed have a drink on a terrace at the Vrijthof, or the Onze Lieve Vrouwe square (smaller, more intimate), with a church to visit as well, the Onze Lieve Vrouw church. If you just like having a drink with a view, consider going up the Sint Pieters"mountain", where there are 1 or 2 restaurants with a great view over the city.

Otherwise, there are quite some museums which seem to be worth a visit if the subject is something of interest to you!

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
58 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 Hours in Maastricht!

Good advice from both - Maastricht is a good town to simply wander around in.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
227 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 Hours in Maastricht!

Do you recommend some interesting museum? I'll visit there in June

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
888 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 Hours in Maastricht!

Bonnefanten Museum is interesting and nicely located along the River Maas

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
722 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 Hours in Maastricht!

No need to visit musea in Maastricht.

This whole city is an entire museum!!

Stroll on Maastricht's fortifications, The Vrijthof, The Square of our Beloved Lady,

The St.Servaas Bridge founded by the Romans, St.Servaas Church on the Vrijthof Square(where Andre Rieu has his concerts each year).

I could go on.....do you want me to??

7. Re: 24 Hours in Maastricht!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, October 30, 2012