We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train cost from brussels to maastricht?

Muskego, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
train cost from brussels to maastricht?

Why is the train cost from Brussels to Maastricht so expensive or am I not looking in the right place? This is for 2 seniors in early September according to "railweurope" is will be $160. 00.

I know the euro is hight, does this sound normal?

Is there a cheaper way to go?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Maastricht
Maastricht
Limburg Province, The Netherlands
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,293 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train cost from brussels to maastricht?

Hi there,

First place I'd try is www.nbms.be, also with English option. Can't check the prices from this location as my proxy blocks that part, but seems way too high a price - as seems to be a bit common with Eurail.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,022 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train cost from brussels to maastricht?

You can also check this trip on http://www.nsinternationaal.nl/

There is a direct train to Maastricht from Brussels and the price should be 34.20 euros return. Cant see the English option but you can just buy the tickets at the station when you get threre, no reservations are required.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Maastricht
Maastricht
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Muskego, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train cost from brussels to maastricht?

Thanks for your help.

Erick especially.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
197 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train cost from brussels to maastricht?

If you travel after 09.00 AM and your age is 65+, a single trip will cost you € 8,00.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train cost from brussels to maastricht?

Just to clarify a couple of things that have been posted earlier.

There are NO direct trains from Brussells to Maastricht. You have to change at Liege (a.k.a. Leuk). There are plenty of good connections the Belgian railways site will give you the times - http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/index.php - Journey time is usually just under two hours.

I can't get the price from either the Belgian or Dutch sites but $160 for two does seem very excessive. You'll probably be better just buying on the day at Brussells.

Mentioned in this post
Maastricht
Maastricht
Liege
Liege
Liege Province, Belgium
Muskego, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train cost from brussels to maastricht?

Thank you everyone for all your help. What you are saying is that I can buy tickets at the station that same day and will not have any problems getting a seat and it should be cheaper? How often do the trains run that route.

Thanks again.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
197 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train cost from brussels to maastricht?

On weekdays there is a direct train from Brussels to Maastricht. Only in the weekend you will have to change at Liege.

For prices use this link:

b-rail.be/int/…index.php

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Maastricht
Maastricht
Muskego, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train cost from brussels to maastricht?

Thanks everyone for your help.

I figured out why the cost was so hight. When ordering tickets on line they figure in a "rail protection fee" into the final price. When looking at the breakdown of the trip on the last page you have to click on delete next to the protection fee and the lower price appears. Hope this will help futures internet rail ticket buyers!

bedford
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train cost from brussels to maastricht?

At the moment, if going by Eurostar, they are doing an offer where you travel from london to brussels and then any travel onward from this to any belgin station is free. You can take the train from brussels to liege for free and then only pay from lege to maastricht which is a nominal amount and only takes about 25 mins.

NAIROBI
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train cost from brussels to maastricht?

Thanks guys for your help. Am a travel consultant and trying to get a client from Nairobi to maastricht and I thought its cheaper to go via brussels and take a train or is there any otherr chaeper option?