We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in Groningen

Which Groningen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
42 posts
one day in Groningen

I'll visit groningen fir one day by train from den haag so can someone suggest places that will show me most of the city please after i get off th train station?

Thanks

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: one day in Groningen

Why don't you read a bit about the place for yourself then decide what you want to see?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groningen

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
148 posts
430 reviews
2. Re: one day in Groningen

Several people on this site have recommended a walking tour through the city, which will show all the highlights of Groningen. See for more info on Virtual Tourist: …virtualtourist.com/vt/tfr/1/319/4/1a199d/

If you are even slightly interested in modern art it is worth taking some time to see the Groningen Museum, which is right by the station. Definitely worth including on your walk is the Martinikerk and the nearby Martinikerkhof (the most attractive square in Groningen) and Prinsenhof ( a pretty garden with historical buildings around it). If feeling energetic you can walk up teh Martinkerk tower. At this stage I'd recommend either the Prinsenhof Hotel (expensive but very smart) or the Feithuis for a coffee.

Another nice part of town is the old fish market (Vismarkt), which has another historic church called the Aakerk. From there you can visit the Maritime Museum and then walk to the harbour area "Hoge de Aa".

Best regards

Rees

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: one day in Groningen

Also would recommend a city walk, very often the best way to discover a town on a quick way. See my tip on Virtual Tourist (and many ther tips): members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1a199d/

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
45,182 posts
165 reviews
4. Re: one day in Groningen

This also helps...

http://toerisme.groningen.nl/en

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: one day in Groningen

How far is Groningen from Amsterdam?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
6. Re: one day in Groningen

@vtmtetons, www.9292.nl/en

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
148 posts
430 reviews
7. Re: one day in Groningen

About 180 kilometers or 2 hours by train. But from the way most people in the west of the Netherlands talk about Groningen, you would you'd think it was 5 times further away.

Drunen, The...
Level Contributor
290 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: one day in Groningen

Groningen is a great city, but for a tourist based in the Randstad there are a lot of nice places way closer. Especially if you consider to travel up to Groningen just for the day, I would reconsider, unless some specific reason to go there of course.

9. Re: one day in Groningen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, March 09, 2016