We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking from Haarlem to Keukenhof

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Biking from Haarlem to Keukenhof

I fly into Amsterdam for a weeklong stay this Saturday. Our apartment rental comes with the use of two bikes. We were thinking of picking a day next week with good weather and taking the train with our bikes over to Haarlem and then cycling down through the flower fields to Keukenhof. Looking at Google Maps it looks like we could then bike along the coast and up to Zandvoort to catch the train back into Amsterdam. Has anyone else done this trip? Seems like a good way to see the flower fields and get away from some of the crowds. Distances seem reasonable according to Google Maps, but their biking directions are not always accurate. We are 2 relatively fit people in our late 20s who would prefer to avoid piling into a crowded bus to see the gardens.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking from Haarlem to Keukenhof

Certainly doable. The key is to check the wind forecast for the day. Spending the second half of your ride head to wind out on the polders gets old fast. Something to consider.

You'll also need to purchase a €6 supplement each to your train ticket to cover your bikes.

Here are a couple of route planners.

http://routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/

www.nederlandfietsland.nl/fietsrouteplanner

The google bike directions for NL are usually quite good.

Lisse, The...
Level Contributor
724 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking from Haarlem to Keukenhof

You can do the trip form Haarlem but you will see the first flower fields at Bennebroek / Hillegom. An other option is to take the train Leiden. From there you are closer to the flower fields and the Keukenhof. Today I met a guy from China in the tulip fields who did the same. He rented a bike at Leiden Central station and biked to Lisse, which takes about 50 minutes. If you like to see how the Keukenhof looked like yesterday and how the tulip fields between Lisse and Sassenheim looked like today you can have a look at the pictures at my Picasa web album (most recent pictures are at the end): https:/…117794954613548281731

Edited: 5:49 pm, April 17, 2014
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking from Haarlem to Keukenhof

I suppose we could bike from Leiden to Keukenhof and then continue on up to Haarlem. Roughly the same distance as my original idea but gives us more time in the tulip fields and without the potential high winds along the coast. Thanks for the advice.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking from Haarlem to Keukenhof

Most of the country is flat so wind is always a factor, anywhere. Check which way it blows that day. Cycling up against headwind is harder work than cycling uphill.

Edited: 3:46 am, April 18, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking from Haarlem to Keukenhof

P.S. Some more advice from someone who cycles daily and does bike holidays etc... (me :-))

To take your bike on a train you buy tickets for yourself (price depends on where you're going) plus seperate bike tickets for €6 per bike, valid full day, doesn't matter where in the Netherlands. It's not allowed to bring your bike during rush hours.

Use the special bike compartment(s) of the train, marked with a small bike over the door.

Some stations have elevators (look for the signs) or escalators but not all, so be prepared to carry your bike down stairs if need be.

As for routes, do not use Google Maps because it will show you the fastest route which is often the boring one alongside smelly motorways. I recommend you use the "knooppunten" = numbered junctions, sort of 'connect the dots' in any way you want. These follow scenic routes through the countryside, past farms and meadows full of lambs, rivers, forests, lakes, through small towns where you can go get some drinks. This page explains it perfectly, especially the video which is also in English. www.nederlandfietsland.nl/en/cycling-daytrips

I recommend you bring enough water and some energy bars and/or bananas for those moments when you unexpectedly 'hit the wall' which is common when cycling for a couple of hours. Especially staying hydrated is important.

Enjoy, I hope the weather will treat you kindly! (We talked about wind but haven't even mentioned rain yet...)

Cecilia // Amsterdam

…xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm#bike

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
85 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biking from Haarlem to Keukenhof

You can also take the Sprinter train out of Haarlem or Leiden and it stops in Hillegom. A wonderful train station right in the middle of all the fields. You can go almost any direction from there to with mins to the best bike point routes. You could even do a couple of days of not fighting the wind from this location.

Lisse, The...
Level Contributor
724 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biking from Haarlem to Keukenhof

@BJNKYY: Paula is totally right. When you have your own bike you can go to the Hillegom train station. This station is just in the middle of the fields. You can use Sassenheim train as well. The Lisse tourist information posted a bike route through the flower fields on iets website. Maybe this is a good combination with your plans. This is their website; route.nl/fietsroutes/…

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
85 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biking from Haarlem to Keukenhof

CorTT- That was a perfect map they posted. I was with some people yesterday and took the routes on the Northend (De Zilk) of that map. The colors were fantastic!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biking from Haarlem to Keukenhof

Excellent advice. Hillegom sounds like a great option that will save our legs a little bit and give us more time in the flowers.

10. Re: Biking from Haarlem to Keukenhof

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 20, 2015