We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train options for Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train options for Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

I am coordinating a trip for a large group (30 people) in May. We will be arriving by plane in Amsterdam. From there we will be travelling to Oberhausen, Cologne, Brussels and then back to Amsterdam to fly home. We arrive on a Friday afternoon and depart Sunday afternoon for a total of 9 nights. We will be travelling by train but I am completely overwhelmed/confused by all of the available choices online so I have a couple of questions that hopefully those of you familiar with European trains can help me with.

1. Is it cheaper to buy online ahead of time or should I wait until we arrive in Amsterdam?

2. Should I look into a pass or purchase the individual legs of the journey separately?

3. Should I try to get group rates...half the group are students.

Thanks in advance!

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train options for Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

German rail has a special sub-site for group travel:

bahn.com/i/…

Passes will not make sense in your case.

Decide whether you want to take high speed trains (ICE/Thalys) or regular trains. High speed trains are cheaper in advance, and can be even cheaper than regular trains if booked long enough in advance. See www.bahn.de to compare schedules.

Regular trains have no price advantage when booked in advance, but it might still be more convenient.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,864 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train options for Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

thalys.com/nl/en/offers-and-fares/groups-fare

The Cologne (Koln in German) to Brussels train is oprated by Thalys so perhaps better to contact them about this leg.

You might also be cheaper looking into coach travel for such a large group.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train options for Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

4. Re: Train options for Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 30, 2014