We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train in Amsterdam

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train in Amsterdam

Has anyone had issues with thieves on the train from the airport to central station in Amsterdam? Never took train and am a little concerned.

Westlake

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train in Amsterdam

i personally have not..but it does happen. not just in amsterdam but any tourist destination. pick pockets target the busy trains from airport to city center and also the trams. never leave bags unattended. have a purse that zips closed. move wallet to front pocket..violent crime is rare..but petty theft im sorry to say can occur if you are not alert..no need to be paranoid or scared just keep an eye on your stuff...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,988 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train in Amsterdam

Yes, does happen, but now back to 'normal' level. It used to be quite huge esp. at Lelylaan, Sloterdijk, Zuid-WTC and Duivendrecht station where packs of thieves operated from the platform and grabbed luggage near the train doors or from disembarking passengers. This is >5 years ago and now all okay, police took their measures of course.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 12:55 pm, June 27, 2011
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train in Amsterdam

thank you for your quick reply. I am a little nervous, but will be on alert.

westlake village

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train in Amsterdam

Hold on to your bag. My friend's handbag was stolen a few months ago on her way to the airport, she lost everything and wasn't able to fly that day.

When she reported it to the police at Schiphol, they told her it was a well known trick called "the coin trick" and happens every day on this train!

The "trick" is like this: someone drops some coins near your suitcase, as you help them pick them up, another person swipes your bag. They than immediately get off the train. My friend was sitting in the aisle seat and her bag was between her and the window, but they still managed to swipe it without her noticing right away!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,870 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train in Amsterdam

I have travelled on the airport train more times than I can count especially as I used to work near the airport. never had a problem.

The issue normally arises when people think that they can leave their baggage unattended and walk to the seating up or down stairs. As Erik mentioned there were gangs boarding the train and then swiping unattended luggage.

They put more security at the stations to prevent this and it more or less stopped..

Of course there are pick pockets everywhere and Amsterdam has its fair share of them but really if you keep an eye on your personal space then you will normally be ok.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train in Amsterdam

Ronaldo, I'm assuming that the lockers are safe to use while we go into the city for the day.

Collie

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,583 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train in Amsterdam

yes. its safe..they dont have roving gangs with crowbars prying open luggage lockers

here is the info

www.schiphol.nl/web/show/id=102979/langid=42

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train in Amsterdam

Thanks steve I didn't think they did it was said tongue in cheek however we may have to take advantage of them when we're there. Looking forward to visiting even if for just a day.

Collie

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,583 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train in Amsterdam

yes, many long layover types use the lockers..they are in the arrival hall...

also, you might want to check this article written by one of our awesome DE's ( not me )

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188553-c79954/The-Ne…

Edited: 7:54 pm, June 27, 2011
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train in Amsterdam

Steve thanks so much great info I'm printing it out. We'll be there for 12 hours so time to see some things.

Collie