We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Netherlands june 4~13

Cirencester, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
10 days in Netherlands june 4~13

hello,

we will be spending 10 days in Netherlands, Flying in and out of Amsterdam.

Thinking to do

3days in Rotterdam/Hague

4days in Amsterdam

3days free,

where/what will you recommend us to go/do. we love city and country sight. any other cities in netherland that is worth a visit?

are the tulips field still blooming? i would love to visit one if there is a chance.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,870 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Netherlands june 4~13

Hi there,

Sorry for the tulip fields - currently is about the last week, and Keukenhof closes in 2 weeks time.

Other nice areas in Holland, not easily reachable from Amsterdam-Rotterdam, are

* Maastricht and the rest of Limburg province, un-Dutch meditteranean atmosphere and low mountains with outings to Belgium and Germany

* Apeldoorn-Arnhem area, lots of nature parks

* Zwolle-Deventer-Zutphen, old 'Hansa' cities on the Yssel-Rhine river with some fortifications left

Don't forget to visit nice castles too from Amsterdam and Rotterdam - e.g. Muiderslot, Naarden vesting and Loevestein near Gorinchem.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Manaus
Level Contributor
311 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Netherlands june 4~13

Rotterdam you can vist the docks maybe the biggest in the world.

You have to go Euromaster you have a good view from the top of Den Haag and roterdam.

Amsterdam,anne frank museum,rijks museum, and the redlight sure.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Netherlands june 4~13

There is very littel to see in Rotterdam from a tourist point of view - as noted, the docks are probably the most exciting thing to see! ;-)

The Hague is a little better - make sure you see the beach and pier at Scheveningen if the weather is nice. Take a tour of the Peace Palace if you get the chance, too!

Amsterdam is very touristy and I am sure that you will have a great time here. Check out the Amsterdam forum for more information.

Erik's advice on what to see outside of the conurbations is, as always, excellent, though may best be appreciated by renting a car for a couple of days.

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Netherlands june 4~13

Rotterdam wouldn't be my choice.

In the western part of the country also: Haarlem, Leiden and Delft.

North of Amsterdam: Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Zaanse Schans and Alkmaar (with its famous cheese market on Fridays)

happy travels

Jaap

5. Re: 10 days in Netherlands june 4~13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:40 am, June 21, 2010
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,837 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in Netherlands june 4~13

Zuzanal, You have posted a link to this tour company four times in your first four posts. Unfortunatley that looks supiciously like you are in some way promoting this tour and have something to do with it. Appologies if this is not the case but just looks very odd.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days in Netherlands june 4~13

The Hague is an amazing city and there's so much to see. If I were you I wouldn't miss the M.C. Escher museum, the unique Prison Gate (Gevangenpoort) museum, the Hall of Knights, Panorama Mesdag, The Royal Palace and the Mauritshuis. 3 days in the area should be enough to visit The Hague with its highlights and also spend half a day in Scheveningen. I wouldn't skip Delft either, it's one of the most beautiful cities full of history and landmarks.

If you are planning to see the northern parts of the country then my vote goes to Giethoorn a very special corner of the Netherlands.

As for Rotterdam, I see a lot of people try to talk you out of it, I still think there are some points of interest worth visiting. Plus, this is the only city that was, almost completely, destroyed during the WWII and it is now the most modern town of the country. I'd still go there to walk on the Erasmus Bridge, have a coffee at the famous New York Hotel, and also would see the only war survivors - the City Hall and the St. Laurenskerk.

Are you sure you want to spend 4 days in Amsterdam??? There is so much to see, Amsterdam does not represent the real Netherlands although this is the perception of many people. Get out of there and explore, there's so much to see.

Almost forgot, if you're traveling in the south of the country consider going to Breda a small but very interesting, full of history city.

sc
Level Contributor
71 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days in Netherlands june 4~13

We are flying into belgium and renting a car and heading towards denmark.

Do you have any suggestions for little towns and bed and breakfast in Holland, Germany and Denmark.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,121 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days in Netherlands june 4~13

"Are you sure you want to spend 4 days in Amsterdam??? There is so much to see, Amsterdam does not represent the real Netherlands although this is the perception of many people. "

i beg to differ....

4 days isnt enough..

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days in Netherlands june 4~13

The other thing in Rotterdam are the Cube Houses. You can inspect one of them and work out if they would suit you. Catch the ferry from near the Erasmus Bridge and enjoy a trip up river to Kinderdijk for lots of windmills.

Agree with 'Nathalie' about the Hague especially the Escher museum at the Palace. Then there is "Madurodam" - The Netherlands in Miniature.

If you travel north and interested in ancient history, visit Borger for the Hunenbedden stones, more recent history, Westerborg internment camp and museum, Veen Park near Hoogeveen for 'Living off the land ' over the centuries.

Do the round trip from there to Apeldoorn, Het Loo for the vehicles used by the Royal Family, parterre garden and home of Queen Beatrix's grandmother.; Spend time at the Kroller-Muller Gallery and sculptures in the garden and visit the Underground museum close by .

There are just somany places you will need to plan for more time in the Netherlands!.

To 'smokie' place your post as a seperate post. But definitely include Brugge as one of the cities to visit. Lots of other smaller places and a few different routes.

Edited: 8:49 am, May 18, 2010