We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Amsterdam to Breda

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Amsterdam to Breda

I'll be going to Breda from the center of Amsterdam on a Saturday morning soon. Should I just turn up and buy a ticket or is there any significant price advantage to buying in advance?

Sort of obvious question, but I'm presuming Amsterdam Centraal is the place to choose as a start station on the timetable?

Second I see there are two stations starting with Breda , Breda and Breda-Prinsenbeek, are they both in Breda, or are they entirely different places? (I will check with who I'm going to meet as well ! )

Finally, assuming its Breda I am going to , I see there is a wide variety of routes depending on which time train I get, I can go via (at least) Schipol, Utrecht, s'Hertogenbosch, Den Haag or direct (very slowly). If I go indirect, which would give me an easy change in terms of finding the right platform?

Thanks, Joe

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,581 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Amsterdam to Breda

Hi Joe,

No discounts for advance purchases here. Just use Amsterdam Centraal and Breda, Prinsenbeek is a suburb. The ns.nl site also gives the platform numbers; generally (e.g. Utrecht) if they are adjoining, like 8-9 or 10-11, it's transfer to the opposite side of the same platform.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Amsterdam to Breda

The best is to take the trains leaving at .08 and .38 afrom Amsterdam Centraal. You will have to change trains in Den Bosch. (='s -Hertogenbosch)

Or even easier, the direct train leaving at .10 every hour.

You will also pass Utrecht. Both Utrecht and Den Bosch are nice towns to visit. In Den Bosch, opposite to the train station you will find a famous bakery, Jan de Groot, where they sell delicious "Bosche Bollen" . These are chocolate coated pastry 'balls' filled with cream.

Edited: 4:44 am, April 15, 2010
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Amsterdam to Breda

Thanks to both. Yes the direct train looks simpler but I have to take trains in the UK like that, they stop at places you haven't even heard of and the journey seems 2x as long. I might just take it and a good book I suppose.

One other question, anyone know if they take Amex? The sticky only mentions cash and VISA/Mastercard? Otherwise Mrs Joe is paying - not that it makes much difference, I always end up paying in the end :-)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,581 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Amsterdam to Breda

No Amex, sorry...

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,159 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Amsterdam to Breda

Joe you are better off going to the ticket desk and paying cash. It will cost you 50C more per ticket but the machine will charge you 1 euro for a CC transaction anyway plus your bank will charge you for the forex transaction.

If you are coming back on Saturday or Sunday then get a weekend retour ticket which will be cheaper than two singles

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Amsterdam to Breda

Thanks Ronaldo, yes was thinking cash might be easiest. I'm not coming back until Monday (to Schipol) , and then I"m not sure if that will be by train or car yet, or even exactly where from, might be 's-Hertogenbosch, so will just buy the return on the day if needs be.

7. Re: Train from Amsterdam to Breda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, October 13, 2010