We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 5 places to visit

hji
Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Top 5 places to visit

Hi! I have been looking at planning my 8 day trip to Amsterdam and making day trips to places around. It seems like there are millions of places to visit. If you had to pick top 5 towns to visit for its scenic beauty of some amazing historic buildings, which 5 would you pick? It could be just outside the country too (Like Antwerpen, cologne, dusseldorf, Gent etc). Please help. I leave in 2 days!!

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 5 places to visit

Depending on yor iterests, budget, etc. Stick to the one country. There is enough in the Netherlands for a whole year. The only other place outside of Holland would be the city of Brugge in Belgium.

5 places in'out of Amstdm.

amsterdam - 2 days

North Holland - Alkmaar, (Enkhuizen, Texel, - 2 days)

Further North - Westerborg, Borger, (Hasselt, Lelystad - 2 days)

East - Arnhem, Appeldoorn, Hoge Veluwe, (Muiden

- 2 days.)

South - Rotterdam, Dordrecht,( Middelburg, Veere, - 2 days).

Alkmaar, old buildings, history, cheese market.

Westerborg, recent history, and close by Borger, ancient history.

Rotterdam, modern architecture, harbour,

Dordrecht, old buildings, history.Kinderdijk.

Hoge Veluwe, wilderness area with art and sculpture.

Arnhem, ancient and modern history.

What sort of experience do you want to get out of your trip?

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 5 places to visit

In order of preference my five would be:

Maastricht (NL) - Beautiful city, no accident that the treaty was signed there.

Enkhuizen (NL) - Once one of the main harbours on the Zuider Zee and major base of the East India company.

Antwerp (BE) - Great beer, chocolates and food. Fascinating architecture too.

Brugge (BE) - Combine with an overnight trip to Antwerp. Siply beautiful.

Koln (DE) - Lovely city, amazing cathedral very close to station.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 5 places to visit

Inside The Netherlands:

- Enkhuizen, stopping in Hoorn on the way and paying a visit to the delightful Zuiderzee Openlucht (Open Air) Museum. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Enkhuizen

- Middelburg/Domburg/Vlissingen/Veere (all in the same area) in Zeeland. Little chances that these will be overcrowded with tourists. Tremendous beauty nonetheless. And while you're at it, add Zierikzee. That should maybe count as 2 suggestions altogether, :)

- To the south, sitting on the Belgian border, southwest of Roermond: the little gem of a town called Thorn. All white, all beauty. bungalowparkoverzicht.nl/assets/…thorn1.JPG

Personal observation: despite the fact that you are tempted to give a chance to out-of-the-country destinations to explore within your limited time, you will benefit the most if you travel within a restricted area, or else you will spend more time on the road, getting there and coming back from there, hence less time to really enjoy the destination.

Outside the country:

- 1st place goes to Bruges in Belgium. Overnight stay highly recommended, when the city shows all of its magic after the gazillion daytrippers are gone. See: http://www.trabel.com/brugge.htm

- The medieval town of Trier, in Germany www.galen-frysinger.us/eh61/trier04.jpg

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/View_o…

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 5 places to visit

We thoroughly enjoyed a day trip to the UNESCO World Heritage Site in Kinderdijk. If windmills are your thing, this place is a must see! It was nice to be outside and stroll along the canal with all those windmills to gaze upon!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,003 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 5 places to visit

and families actually live in the kinderdijk windmills...

hji
Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 5 places to visit

Thanks for the inputs. We have already been to Brugge during our visit to Lille, France last year. Loved it! We are staying at the Renessaince Marriott in Amsterdam for 10 days. We want to make day trip to different places. We are not too much into Museums, but love outdoors and natural beauty. We did enjoy Brugge for its beautiful architecture, history, and beauty! So, that is what we are looking for. So, budget is not a big concern, but want to make the most of our trip. We want to be back in Amsterdam for all the nights!

Derby, UK
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 5 places to visit

Hi, I would recommend short and easy trips to places like:

Zandvoort - on the coast and a good example of the dutch approach to seaside resort. It is a short journey by train from Centraal Station.

Utrecht - a great little city (like a mini Amsterdam)and University town with a good atmosphere and only short train ride.

I really enjoyed Groningen in the North but it really depends how much time you want to spend travelling.

Make sure you visit the home of Ajax Football Club - a very impressive stadium.

My fifth piece of advice would be forget all about the above and make the most of Amsterdam - ten days allows you to relax and act like a local.

Delft, The...
Level Contributor
184 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 5 places to visit

Please do not forget to visit Delft, my hometown. www.delft.nl Enjoy your visit!

hji
Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 5 places to visit

We are definitely visiting Delft. I have read some nice things about the place. Thanks!

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 5 places to visit

Delft and The Hague.

Hoge Veluwe and Kroller Muller.

Kinderdijk and Biesbisch, both a ferry ride out of dordrecht. Also can access Dordrecht by ferry from Rotterdam.

Rotterdam, new architecture.

Muiden, Het Loo,

Arnhem,

Hunnenbedden at Borger, and next door Westerborg.