We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam to Groningen?

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Amsterdam to Groningen?

I am currently planning on renting a car at the airport in Amsterdam and driving up to Groningen to visit friends. I was told that the procedure for renting a car is "different" than renting in the US. How so?

Would it just be easier to take the train to Groningen and rent a car there? Oh, and I'll need an automatic car for sure since I've only been behind the wheel of a manual once and don't wish to experiment on a rental in a foreign country! Once in Groningen, I would need a car to travel to places not readily accessible by train, so sticking just to rail travel for the length of my trip is not an option.

Any help would be much appreciated! Trying to sort out the logistics for this has given me a headache!!

NL
Level Contributor
933 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam to Groningen?

Assuming you are from the USA, you will have a jetlag. I think it would be better (and more relaxing) to take a train to Groningen and rent a car there.

Finding an automatic needs advance reservations, those are not always in stock.

Exact trainschedules can be found on:

ns.nl/cs/…

There are directtrains (without change en route) every hour. More with one change.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
351 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam to Groningen?

I vote for train as well, because it's a way to relax and enjoy some lovely scenery "en route". It might even be faster than by car.

I don't know about the rental system being different from the one in the USA... can't help you there!

Good luck and enjoy :)

-Marlies

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,053 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam to Groningen?

Renting a car at Schiphol should be no different to renting in the US so I don't know what you mean.

There are direct trains from the airport to Groningen but the drive should also be alright as long as you avoid rush hours.

As said you will have to specify an automatic when you book and beware that the cost of gas is currently around $8 per US gallon (€1.56 per litre) so please factor that into your costings.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
744 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam to Groningen?

And train cost from Schiphol to Groningen would be 28.90 euro one-way, 2nd class. Travel time with train would be around 2h 30m.

5. Re: Amsterdam to Groningen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 29, 2009