We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or car

6 posts
Train or car

We are going to visit Netherlands with my wife for 3 days from 19 January. We will stay in Eindhoven and plan to visit Amsterdam one day, Rotterdam, Hague, delft the second and Maastricht the third. What is best/cheaper type of transportation? Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
9,480 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Train or car

Train - definitely. Cars are useful for exploring rural areas, but not for getting from one town to another. And the country is notorious for its traffic jams.

UK
Level Contributor
9,480 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Train or car

Hang on, you're trying to visit three towns in one day? OK, they're not that far from each other - but that's mad.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
414 posts
3. Re: Train or car

Train.

And between Delft, Den Haag and Rotterdam there are also busses, trams, maybe metro depends. Look in www.9292.nl

Even Rotterdam is to much for 1 day. 3 city's in 1 is a lot! Why Den Haag?

6 posts
4. Re: Train or car

No, not going to visit 3 cities in a day, one day Amsterdam one day Maastricht and one day something else

UK
Level Contributor
9,480 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Train or car

"one day something else"

Well, in your first post you indicated that you were planning to visit Rotterdam, Delft and Den Haag all in one day... which is too much.

6 posts
6. Re: Train or car

My bad, about train tickets they are 80 euros for 2 return tickets, just for the first day to Amsterdam. On the opposite there are rent a cars for 70 eur for 3 days, that's my dilemma

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,712 posts
7. Re: Train or car

you are leaving out parking fees in the car cost.

I hope your next question isn't if anyone knows of free parking

Edited: 2:59 pm, January 13, 2017
UK
Level Contributor
9,480 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Train or car

"you are leaving out parking fees in the car cost."

- and the cost of fuel.

And you'll be wasting a lot of time in traffic - you may be lucky and not encounter any traffic jams on the motorways, but you will still need a lot of time to drive into and out of town.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
471 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Train or car

Where are you flying from? It might be easier to stay a night in each area instead of backtracking. Or two around Amsterdam/Rotterdam and then move onto Maastricht. Since you're not planning time in Eindhoven anyway. It will be less travel and therefor cheaper.

6 posts
10. Re: Train or car

We are flying to Eindhoven and staying there at my friend's house(free), my only doubt is transportation as Eindhoven is far from everything we want to visit