We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich - need advice

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Zurich - need advice

Hello, everybody! I am planning to stop in Zurich in the mid-November for one day and one night, but I don't want to rent a hotel and plan to see the city at night. Do you have any suggestions or itineraries for a woman, who will be alone and does not want to spend money in clubs or bars? And second question - is it possible to take train Zurich - Bern via Lucern without having to change the train in Lucern (could not find any info about it on websites). Thank you very much. Best regards.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich - need advice

Hi Nephella,

I'm having some trouble understanding this. You'll be in Zurich overnight in mid-November, but you don't want to spend money on a hotel, club, or bar? Where do you imagine you'll spend the cold ngiht?

Actually, there are "dayrooms" at the Zurich airport where you can crash for either 48 chf or 63 chf, according to how long you'll stay. Here's a website:

www.zurich-airport.com/ZRH/…

So, after you see the city, you can head to the airport for a few hours and grab a nap at least.

I don't know if there is a similar facility at the main train station in Zurich, but someone may be able to tell you about it.

For your train question, no, the train form Zurich to Bern via Luzern reuires a change in Luzern (Luzern is out of the way). You can get the schedule at www.rail.ch.

Good luck!

s

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Bern
Bern
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich - need advice

How cold is it at night in the mid-November in Zurich, in Celcius?

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich - need advice

Hi again,

My guidebook says temps in Zurich in Nov are 2-7 C. It'll also be wet.

s

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich - need advice

Not the right climate for spending your night on a bench in a park I guess... I also don't know of any alternatives to either a hotel or clubs and bars!

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich - need advice

I am actually planning on walking around a lot, seeing sights, since all day would be spent on trips to Bern and Lucern. I realize that the night is not the best time, but I spent night in Vienne doing that, and do not regret one bit. But, of course, it was August. I will be in Zurich in the evening and night again in the mid-December when I am planning to do normal sightseeing, but the night in the mid-November... I just need to know where it is safe to walk , and since, it seems, I have no choice, where I could find a decent place where I could buy a cup of coffee and sit for 5-6 hours with that cup... I really need to know temperature. I live in Montreal and keep track of weather in Zurich every day. It is much higher than here, and last November we had flowers and green grass!

Best regards.

Mentioned in this post
Bern
Bern
Zurich
Zurich
canada
Level Contributor
8,034 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich - need advice

I have never tried this, hopefully a local would chip in to say if Hauptbahnhof would be locked up overnight. That will be the place for you to nurse a cup of coffee over 4-5 hours.

Unless there is a festival going Zuerich will be quiet soon after midnight, and you indicated unwilling to join the bar scene in the old town.

Wien is a much bigger and active place than Zuerich. But in the evening you can walk along the Limmat and the Sihl, use the tram in between, etc. But there will not be gorgeous monument under illumination.

Weatherwise, you are from Montreal, you will survive that clammy situation.

For train scedules, use sbb.ch. There is no domestic night train.

In the (very) early morning there are breakfast places where you can sit down, have a croissant, coffee and morning paper.

Mentioned in this post
Limmat
Limmat
720 Reviews
Zurich, Switzerland
Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zurich - need advice

Zurich is not the place where there is something going on for 24 hours. During the week there are some bars or pubs which are open until 2 am, on weekends until around 4am (mainly in Niederdorf). You could sit there for hours and just drink a cup of coffee - nobody would mind! In the morning the first coffee shops open around 5 or 6 am. I don't know how you would spend the hours in between. I'm not sure if the train station stays open 24 hours - they used to close it after midnight, but maybe things have changed. But even if it would be open, all shops, bars and restaurants would be closed after midnight. Trams operate until something between midnight and 1 am and from around 5.30 am.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Niederdorf
Niederdorf
459 Reviews
Zurich, Switzerland
Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Zurich - need advice

Thank you, guys! 2-7 Celcius is fine. Thank you for all the tips.

Does anybody know what time it gets dark in the mid-November?

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zurich - need advice

I would say something between 5 and 6 pm.

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Zurich - need advice

Thank you very much.

Nobody is answering my question from Bern forum. Maybe, you are more knowledgable on this: where is it more advisable to spend evening hours between 6pm and 9pm - in Lucerne or Bern? I am thinking - Bern (Lucerne seems to be a quiet place), but would like to know for sure, if it's possible. Best regards.

Mentioned in this post
Bern
Bern
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland