We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

23 hrs Lay Over

Chicago
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
23 hrs Lay Over

Dear Zurich DE

Greetings and thank you so much in advance. We are 5 people from age 57 to 66 year old. Our flight arrives at ZRH at 10:55 AM on Sunday in Middle of January. Our next flight out of ZRH Depart at 09:45 AM next day. We will like to go for sightseeing in Zurich and stay in a hotel for a night.

1. Should we stay in a hotel in Zurich city or near airport?

2. Do we have time to go to Uetliberg Mountain is it worth in January?

3. Good vegetarian restaurant in city.

4. We are planning to stay at Hotel Senator. We will like to hear more about this hotel. Also We will appreciate any suggestion on budget hotel in City or Airport.

5. It is going to be Sunday and we are not much in to Museums. Is Zurich Card worth it or we should just get Zurich Day pass with 3 zones(or 5 zones If we go to Uetliberg Mountain).

Please forgive my ignorance me if these questions were answered before and I missed them.

We will really appreciate any suggestion. Thank you so much in advance.

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,008 reviews
from $169.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
347 reviews
from $243.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,035 reviews
from $243.50*
Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 23 hrs Lay Over

Hello Stingie

23 hrs for some sightseeing in Zurich is easy ...but do keep in mind that if you are arriving direct from Chicago (?) you will also likely have some jet lag to deal with... So plan accordingly.

1. I ALWAYS tell people to stay in the city... the airport is super easy and fast to get to (with public transport) and it is out in "the sticks" so why not stay in the city - you will see more, be close to everything, and central Zurich is so small that this does make a difference.

2. Going up and down Uetliberg takes about 3hrs from the main train station - and yes you should get a ticket (at the airport!) that allows you to travel all the way to Uetliberg and back (5 zone return ticket = 24hr public transport pass). The ticket machines also display english so it is easy to buy - or you can go to the counter at the airport. But this ticket will be valid for ALL trains, busses, trams, cable cars and so on... and it will be good for 24hrs - so this would be smart for you. The Zuri-pass only starts being a value if you use it for museums and other attractions - so I would skip it.

3. Oldest vegetarian resto in Zurich is Hiltl. (http://www.hiltl.ch - must have a reservation - very popular), but there are quite a few places now like Tibits,... look at the TA restaurant reviews and select Vegetarian in the "Cuisine" section... also worth noting is that almost all restaurants in Zurich offer vegetarian selections, and ...of course ...cheese fondue and cheese raclette are also both vegetarian (although not vegan...).

4. Hotel Senator is a little bit out of the centre... but it is well connected by several tram lines (about 10 min). Living in ZH myself I can't vouch for it, but there are acceptable reviews on TA. I might suggest if you want a hotel within walking distance of the centre that you take a look at the TA map of hotels. This might make your very short time a little more focused ...however with this said, the more central the higher the cost... naturally.

5. Sunday can be a pretty quiet day in the city. By law all shops are closed except those at the train station. (So Uetliberg is a good idea - but only if the weather is fine). If it is a nice day then just spend it in the old town and walk along the lake side (views to the mountains).

A single day in Zurich is very quickly over... especially between flights, so do a little more research and then enjoy yourselves.

Good luck.

Chicago
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 23 hrs Lay Over

Thank you so much, Canswiss. Sorry for late reply. Your mentioning of jet-leg was very to the point and we are flying directly from Chicago and did ot think much of it. Thanks again.

3. Re: 23 hrs Lay Over

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 04, 2015