We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Lucerne and Zurich

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southington
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How many days in Lucerne and Zurich

We're in the process of planning a 12 day trip at the end of May to Europe. One itinerary we're working on is:

Days 1-4: Prague, with day trips around this area

Days 5-7: Hallstatt, Austria with day trips around this area

Day 8-12: Stop in Lichtenstein on way to Lucerne with a visit to Mt Titlis and then Zurich

We love to hike, being out in nature, walking around towns, trying new wines, and visiting breweries (or pubs) to try new beers. We will be using public transportation (bus and train) to get around Europe. How much time should we plan to spend in Lucerne and Zurich to get the most of our trip? We are willing to be flexible with the amount of time we spend in Austria and Switzerland. Many thanks in advance.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in Lucerne and Zurich

Hi huskymsw

Lucerne is just one train hour away from Zurich. I would stay at Lucerne and do day excursions from there - see www.luzern.com and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum).

pore

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in Lucerne and Zurich

I agree with pore - a change of hotels is not necessary as the two towns are so close to each other. Whether you stay in Lucerne or Zurich depends on what you prefer: Zurich is much larger and more cosmopolitan. The choice of wine bars and pubs is certainly wider (try for instance Brasserie Federal at the railway station - they serve more than 100 different Swiss beers!). Lucerne is closer to the mountains for excursions, more romantic, more touristy and has an attractive location on a beautiful lake (Zurich is on a lake too but as a Zurich resident I must admit that lake of Lucerne is more picturesque).

I think that 3-4 days are sufficient to see both towns and do one or two excursions to the mountains.

Southington
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in Lucerne and Zurich

Thank you for your suggestions :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in Lucerne and Zurich

We spent four nights in Lucerne in January and one in Zurich. I agree with Pore that there is no need to move to Zurich, but my husband had his heart set on it so we did.

I would have happily had another couple of nights in Lucerne. There is so much to do, we only scratched the surface in four nights.

5. Re: How many days in Lucerne and Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, January 05, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days in Lucerne and Zurich

While we enjoyed Zurich, Lucerne is absolutely lovely. If we are ever lucky enough to go again, we would stay in Lucerne and simply catch the train to Zurich. From memory it was a less than one hour journey.

7. Re: How many days in Lucerne and Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 27, 2016