We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit-What order??

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
4 posts
Save Topic
Places to visit-What order??

I plan to visit some of the following places in Zurich:

Please advice the best order to visit maximum places.

I'm in Zurich for 1 day (11 am to 10 am next day).

I plan to check in to the hotel late at night and go to airport in the morning.

I plan to store my luggage at the airport and visit some of the following places:

1. Lucerne

2. Rhine falls

3. Mt. Pilatus

4. Boat trip to Uetiberg

5. Bahnhofstrasse

6. Flea market

7. Lake Promenade

8. Ferry ride to Rapperdville

Do not want to walk too much.

Please advise a 10-12 hour itinerary covering above.

Best pass to buy??? (I'm thinking 3 zone pass for 1 day).

Thanks

canada
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit-What order??

1. Lucerne is in a region outside of Canton of Zurich.

2. For Rhine Falls you can use a ZVV day ticket. That includes all your travel within Zurich City.

3. Mt Pilatus is just outside Lucerne. You need to pat extra for the excursion.

4. Uetiberg is a peak, you have to carry your boat up.

5. & 7. If you don't want to walk down Bahnhofstrasse, ride a tram. Trains to Lucerne and Rapperswil will travel along the shores of Lake Zurich.

6. Flea market would be on a weekend, you won't have daylight time to visit, according to your to-do list.

8. Rapperswil is outside of the Canton of Zurich again.

You are crossing over 4 regions, not city zones.

Summer days are longer, you may cover more ground, for Winter months, I don't think you can see all those in daylight.

Suppose you waste no time: touch down at 11 am, exit terminal 11:30, settle your bags, buy a ticket & arrive Lucerne by 13:00. Return from Pilatus round trip by 16:00, train to Schloss Laufen to meet sunset at Rhine Falls. Back to train to Rapperswil for supper. You can either take train back to Zurich and watch the Lake under Moonlight, or stay overnight in Rapperswil. There are frequent trains from Rapperswil to Zurich airport.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit-What order??

Hi

Thank you so much for the detailed response.

This will greatly help me.

One more question...I am staying at a hotel about 7 Km from the airport.

I do not have any checked luggage and my Swiss Air flight to Mumbai leaves

at 9.45 am.

What time should I reach the airport latest.

Thanks again.

canada
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit-What order??

Hi 5555fp, Can you ask your airline? I am not familiar with the Indian route and procedures. The standard answer has been 2 hours before departure, while one hour will usually do. But passengers to USA needs an extra hour for security. First timers obviously need more time to negotiate the route. Renovation at Zurich Terminal is still an on-going process. How I went through last month is probably different from next month. There was one time when no check-in counter claim responsibility for my airline, and was sent upstairs and downstairs a few times,

4. Re: Places to visit-What order??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 13, 2014