We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of Train at Zurich HB

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
India
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Change of Train at Zurich HB

Hi, I am travelling from Salzburg (Austria) to Interlaken (Switzerland) with connections at Zurich HB & Bern. While there seems to be sufficient time to connect from Bern to Interlaken (36 minutes); Zurich HB to Bern seems quite tight as there is just a 12 minute window between the 2 trains which are Train 364 & Train Euocites 724. Is it realistically possible to catch the train with luggage and 2 kids aged 13 and 8? Is it possible to know in advance the platform numbers so that we can plan our disembarking and vice versa in advance? I would be taking a Swiss Pass on 2nd Class.

Further, in case we miss a train can we take the next available train. Thanks.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,709 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change of Train at Zurich HB

12 minutes is not tight at all, but if you miss a train you simply take the next one. They run every 30 minutes.

India
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change of Train at Zurich HB

Thanks Altamiro.. You made me feel confident... Regards,

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change of Train at Zurich HB

Swiss Federal Railways website www.sbb.ch online time-table shows public transporation connections with platform number used by specific trains. For Zurich: as long as both trains are on platforms 3-18, 12 minutes should be sufficent (especially if you are in the front section of the train).

Website shows also general information on railway stations. Maps seem to be hidden: station and services - our rail stations - Zurich - about us - downloads "Station plan".

India
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change of Train at Zurich HB

Thanks jm2cents, I checked up www.sbb.ch and indeed its quite informative. Will plan accordingly.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change of Train at Zurich HB

Altamiro, you stated that if you miss the train you just get the next one. We are travelling in January from Munich to Lucerne, with an obvious change at Zurich.

The ticket we plan to purchase is a discount ticket from the bahn.de site, where you have to catch the exact train that you book. What would happen in our case, would we have to purchase a new ticket from Zurich to Lucerne?

Thanks for the help.

Deb

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Change of Train at Zurich HB

If you miss the second train because the first is delayed, you need a confirmation from the conductor on the first(!) train and then you are free to take the next available train with your ticket.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change of Train at Zurich HB

Thanks for the reply Blandine Forberg. I am guessing that trains from Zurich to Lucerne are not too expensive if we miss it through being slow. We could just buy another.

Deb

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change of Train at Zurich HB

"If you miss the second train because the first is delayed, you need a confirmation from the conductor on the first(!) train and then you are free to take the next available train with your ticket."

This is NOT right, you do not need a confirmation, it is not a requirement. Any articles on the net always say you should, never you must.

It may be easier when you board the next train but in general you can just simply board the next train. If the conductor does not believe you they can easily find that out themselves. (And yes, I missed various trains before travelling a lot as just on my last train journey to Switzerland 2 weeks ago when I missed my connection in Basel to Thun - no confirmation, no one expected me to have one).

Additionally @djh1 I assume you bought a Europa Spezial/saver ticket on bahn.de ?

The rule that you have to take the specific train as booked only applies to trains in Germany, once you crossed the border you could even take a later train, if you e.g. want to explore Zurich for a few hours, you can easily do that, your ticket would be valid till the following day on that leg Zurich - Lucerne. There is absolutely no need to buy a new ticket.

Edited: 2:13 pm, September 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change of Train at Zurich HB

Thanks for that Michaela_2404, that is great news. We haven't actually bought our tickets yet as we won't be doing the journey until mid January, but we do plan on buying the cheapest special ticket we can get.

Deb

10. Re: Change of Train at Zurich HB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, September 12, 2014