We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight layover for 12 hours plus in Zurich

Mumbai (Bombay...
4 posts
Save Topic
Overnight layover for 12 hours plus in Zurich

My wife & myself arrive into zurich airport at 9:15 pm from brussels we then have a 9:00 am flight to mumbai. We were wondering what would be our best options of spending the night ? We are open to visiting the city for bars/clubs that may be open late & then returning to the airport later in the morning.

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight layover for 12 hours plus in Zurich

Hi Poddy85.

I would highly suggest booking a room somewhere, either at a hotel in the city, or one of the day rooms at the Zurich airport.

Zurich is not really a 24hr city. Most bars and clubs will close at 02-03:00 unless it is a Fri or Sat night. If it is later then there will not be any public transport to the airport - so you will face a 40-50 CHF taxi fare (note: this would be about 1/3 of the cost of an inexpensive hotel room!).

Zurich airport itself is closed to all flight traffic from 11:00-06:00, so this means that there are no passengers and all the services at the airport shut down. Even though the terminal remains open, it is essentially empty with the exception of security guards and cleaners.

On the other hand, the first train from Zurich HB goes to the airport at 05:54, so there would be no problme staying at a hotel in the city and still easily and comfortably making your flight the next morning.

I understand the concept of trying to save yourself a night in a hotel, and this might work well in some "24hr cities",... but Zurich is not one of them.

Hope this helps.

Mumbai (Bombay...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight layover for 12 hours plus in Zurich

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply :-) I will book a room at the nearby airport hotel asap, thinking of apartments swiss star (1.2 km away from the airport)...Is there any bar/club or hangout place around the airport which may be open till 2 am...i can even walk later as long as its near the airport...Thanks for your valuable advice

3. Re: Overnight layover for 12 hours plus in Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 21, 2014