We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich HB to Zurich Airport

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Weston super Mare...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Zurich HB to Zurich Airport

I was search website for trains from Zurich HB to Airport, S2 and IR takes approx 12 mins for this journey. I want to ask what is S2 and IR are they different types of train services?

Which one will be better? Both are priced equal.

How much do we have to walk from train station to Airport departure building?

If I buy the train tickets in advance will it be cost saving or it will be same priced if I buy them on the same day at Zurich HB?

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich HB to Zurich Airport

IR = Inter regional train - this is a train that travels longer distances in Switzerland - this train will be direct or have have maximum one stop between the HB and Airport - typically takes 10min.

S-train is a Stadt (or "city") train - there are 2 stops between the HB and Airport - typically takes 12min.

Services are clean comfortable and fast. S-bahn trains are commuter trains, so there is more space in them for baggage and standing room - and the new trains have the floor at the same height as the platform - making them easy to get baggage on and off. IR trains have more seating, and typically have several steps to get onto the train - so one must lift luggage onto the train.

When you purchase a ticket it is valid for EITHER of these trains, ...and there is no difference in cost if you purchase it in advance or just before departure.

Have a good trip

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich HB to Zurich Airport

> I want to ask what is S2 and IR are they different types of train services?

Yes - S is for suburban, IR for InterRegio (longer distance travel). Not that it matters for 12 minutes.

>Which one will be better? Both are priced equal.

The one that comes first after you arrive at the platform.

>How much do we have to walk from train station to Airport departure building?

One escalator up.

>If I buy the train tickets in advance will it be cost saving or it will be same priced if I buy them on the same day at Zurich HB?

The tickets already cost just something over 5 Fr, who would bother with offering prebooking?

Edited: 4:57 pm, July 01, 2013
Weston super Mare...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich HB to Zurich Airport

thank u canswiss & altamiro ...:)

4. Re: Zurich HB to Zurich Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 03, 2014