We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days in Zurich (11-14 July)

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Three days in Zurich (11-14 July)

Hi -

Me and my wife (both in 30's) will spend 3 nights in Zurich, after a few days in Black Forest. So we want Zurih to be our city holiday.

We are happy to walk, cycle - I have seen some guided walks, and happy to hear views. We wouldnt find us spending too much time in the museums, though.

Any help will be great. We are always looking for hidden gems!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days in Zurich (11-14 July)

Suggestions:

- A guided walking tour is a nice way to discover the historic centre of Zurich. English spoken tours can be booked at the tourist office.

- Upscale-shoping in the main avenue, Bahnhofstrasse (unfortunately, there’s construction work going on, but the shops are open). Combine with a walk up to the Lindenhof square for a nice view of the river Limmat and the old riverside building

- Boat tour on lake Zurich with nice views of the Alps (when the weather is good) – there are different tours, from 1 to 4 hours. The ticket office is at Bürkliplatz right at the lake side.

- While you’re at the lake you could also rent a pedal boat – great fun!

- Fraumünster church with beautiful stained glass windows by famous artist Marc Chagall

- Terrace of the Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) for nice views over the city (take the little cable car from Central)

- If the weather is not that good, consider going to the national museum (Landesmuseum) near the main station. It features many exhibits illustrating the history of Switzerland and Zurich. It focuses on life in medieval times with historic costumes, weapons and a big tin soldier diorama.

- Have lunch/dinner on the top floor of Primetower

- Go for a drink with a view to Jules Verne bar, a former observatory

- Zurich has an excellent Zoo

- Take the train up mt. Uetliberg (with 800 m not really a mountain by Swiss standards) for nice views of Zurich and the lake and even as far as Mt. Pilatus and Rigi near Lucerne

- Make a train trip to Lucerne and up one of the mountains there (by train/cable car); only 45 minutes by train from Zurich main station

Check http://www.zuerich.com/en/Visitor.html for more ideas

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,196 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days in Zurich (11-14 July)

here is a link to a walking tour of Zürich written by one of the DEs for Zürich, Oller:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188113-i337-k42…

Even though Zürich is the largest city in this country it is still pretty much a small, compact place and you might well want to spend a day seeing another of our lovely cities: bern and basel are only an hour away from Zürich by train and either one would make a nice day trip. Here are links to suggestions for those cities as well:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188052-c127052/Ber…

tripadvisor.com/…37811992

Another option would be to make a morning excursion to the Rhine Falls. An hour away by train, but in another direction than either Bern or Basel, you would need to go to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall or Neuhausen am Rhein to see the falls. You could combine this with sightseeing in Schaffhausen, which is small but lovely! and maybe a cruise on the Rhine!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days in Zurich (11-14 July)

Many thanks Hambagahle and Janszoon. I have another question - do I really need a ZurichPass? I dont intend to visit many museums, but hope to take trains to and from airport.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,196 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days in Zurich (11-14 July)

If that is all you want to do then, no. Just buy your train tickets on the day of travel. But if you want to use the local buses and trams in Zürich as well, buy a local transport card for the day that covers travel in from the airport AND all local in-city transit.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three days in Zurich (11-14 July)

actually, you have answered my question better than I asked! We will want to use local transport in the city too. Many thanks!

6. Re: Three days in Zurich (11-14 July)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 04, 2014