We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Storage Service at Zurich and Basel Central Station

Hong Kong, China
8 posts
Save Topic
Baggage Storage Service at Zurich and Basel Central Station

I've heard that we can leave our baggage in lockers for few hours in SBB central stations, but I'm a bit worried about the safety. Is it easy for thieves to reach the site at which lockers are located and then open them to steal the luggage? It is a lot safer if lockers are in a locked room. Or is it possible and better to leave our luggage in left-luggage office where someone is responsible for keeping luggage safe (I'm not sure whether the function of the office is like this@@)? Really hope for your answer and your effort will be much appreciated!!

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Full-Day Sightseeing...
1,040 Reviews
from $168.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
359 Reviews
from $257.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,048 Reviews
from $257.90*
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,058 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Storage Service at Zurich and Basel Central Station

The service is absolutely safe. There are baggage lockers as well as a staffed and secure baggage rooms at both stations.

The lockers are self-service but in an area where it would be very difficult for someone to try to break into one as there are a lot of people around. You take the key with you.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 2:55 pm, June 29, 2013
canada
Level Contributor
8,026 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Storage Service at Zurich and Basel Central Station

For years I have no problems with these lockers in any train stations. Those in Zurich HB and BaselSBB are located downstairs in a secluded area. Some smaller stations have the lockers practically by the street.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Hong Kong, China
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Storage Service at Zurich and Basel Central Station

Thx for your reply, but I'm still a bit confused as one of you describes it as a secluded area while another mentions there are lots of people around. What does that mean indeed?- -''

Btw how is the baggage charged if I choose to leave it to staff instead of lockers? Where are they located at? Thanks=)

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Storage Service at Zurich and Basel Central Station

In Zurich Hauptbanhoff they charged me 10 Francs last week in the Staffed storage room. Just chekh the opening times if you intend to withdraw your luggage in the evening.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,058 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage Storage Service at Zurich and Basel Central Station

I think we have been a bit confusing. the luggage lockers are in open areas at both stations not private areas so someone trying to break in to a locker is likely to be heard if not actually seen. they are quite strong metal and it would take some loud banging, I should think, to break into one! Sorry if it was confusing

6. Re: Baggage Storage Service at Zurich and Basel Central Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 02, 2014