We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 person; 6 days; A few trains; Which card please?

nyc
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1 person; 6 days; A few trains; Which card please?

I'll be traveling from Zurich, through Lucerne and Interlaken to Wengen. I'll explore a few villages so will be taking other means of transportation as well including the train to Jungfrauloch hopefully. Then traveling to Basel and back to Zurich. All in 6 days. Short time, I know.

I am unsure of which pass to get, if any. Could I just buy tickets for each train rather than buy a pass that covers extended days and other benefits that I will not need. I don't want to wait in line though for each train to get tickets. Would a pass eliminate this?

If I do get a pass, are there additional charges for the shorter train, cog trains in the villages? It states that with the pass, tickets can be purchased for these trains at a discount.

It just kinda seems like the passes cover more than what I need. Or are they just what I should get?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Wengen
Wengen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 person; 6 days; A few trains; Which card please?

Hello Luca222, and welcome to the TA Forums.

Most of your questions are already answered on the "Switzerland Forum" pages - specifically in the "Top questions about Switzerland" section on the right hand side of the page. Here you will find MANY pages on the merits and costs of rail passes in Switzerland.

However - the only way to truly know if a Pass is a good value - is to do some research on ticket prices on sbb.ch, and then to do some math and sum up all the ticket costs.

To answer the rest of your questions:

A valid pass is your ticket, so you would not need to queue to buy tickets. Different passes have different validities - so check the validity maps - however "in general" Swiss passes are valid on PUBLIC transportation, but only give discounts on Privately operated mountain lifts or railways. Again, there is a validity map for each pass - check it out. Additionally most passes give entries or discounts at museums, tourist attractions, and are valid for all city-transport as well; so you need to factor this into the accounting.

Passes are exactly that - a broad pass that allows tourists to be confident, flexible, and to be able to travel freely - within the validity area - and for this one does pay a premium. It is then up to you to make the most out of such a purchase. I hope this helps with your planning.

Mentioned in this post
2. Re: 1 person; 6 days; A few trains; Which card please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 13, 2014
;