We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Hr 15 min layover in Zurich, leaving for US from Spain

Chicago
2 posts
Save Topic
1 Hr 15 min layover in Zurich, leaving for US from Spain

Hello,

My wife and I are considering a flight from Barcelona to Chicago (I am a US citizen) in August which includes only a 1 hr 15 minute layover in Zurich. As we will be leaving the Schengen area when we depart Zurich, I suspect we will need to do passport control in Zurich during our layover (although our bags should be checked through to Chicago already in Barcelona). Both our flight incoming to Zurich from Barcelona and our flight departing from Zurich to Chicago are on SWISS.

Obviously, we cannot control for delays or weather and the like, but under normal circumstances, is this a doable connection? I am quite nervous about the short connection time, but am noticing that many flights out of Barcelona to the US include tight connection windows in Zurich, Geneva, Munich, etc., so maybe this is somewhat normal.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Full-Day Sightseeing...
1,040 Reviews
from $167.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
359 Reviews
from $256.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,048 Reviews
from $256.30*
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,628 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Hr 15 min layover in Zurich, leaving for US from Spain

Hi Mike,

Under normal circumstances it should work. Likely the Spain flight arrives at the main terminal (Schengen) and the US flight leaves from the satellite terminal, but the skytrain ride between those is only 2-3 mins or the like and frequent. Next to that you have Schengen emigration checks with not that big queues; forgot whether the X-ray check is right next to those or at the gate.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Hr 15 min layover in Zurich, leaving for US from Spain

Shouldn't be a problem.

You will arrive at gates A/B (no incoming passport control) and likely need to proceed to gates E where there is an exit control. Getting through this is usually fast and efficient, and I have never had to wait longer than 5 min. Then you will proceed by the skytrain (actually underground despite the name) to the airfield terminal and gates E. All of this will likely take less than 20min (maybe 30 if by chance the Barcelona flight de-planes to busses).

However... you do have added security in that the whole trip is booked on one airline, SWISS, so they will be aware of any delays automatically,... Likewise the cabin crew from your inbound flight will very likely announce the gate for the Chicago flight once you have landed and are arriving at the gate... so listen up and then pay attention inside the terminal. Yes, it IS all very efficient.

From my experience I would not be very stressed about it. Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Hr 15 min layover in Zurich, leaving for US from Spain

Thank you both very much for your very helpful responses. I believe we will book the flight on SWISS per your guidance. If you ever need any trips re Chicago, please let me know!

All my best,

Mike

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Hr 15 min layover in Zurich, leaving for US from Spain

Chicago is a GREAT city ...helped organize a conference there a few years ago. Fantastic welcoming cool people! You are very welcome in Swissyland!

5. Re: 1 Hr 15 min layover in Zurich, leaving for US from Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 10, 2014