We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Zurich to Munich

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Zurich to Munich

Hi all,

I’ve booked my tickets from Zurich to Munich and this involves the changing of trains at Schaffhausen (RE 3776) and Ulm Hbf ( IRE 3359) and then on ICE 599 to Munich.

May I know if there are anything else to take note of when changing stations, other than making sure I am at the right platform, correct train no. and of course taking care of my own personal belongings?

Thanks!

canada
Level Contributor
7,549 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Zurich to Munich

Hi mlimk,

You've got it right. That was how I travel.

While checking platform, also notice sector, there are indicater boards showing where you will find your carriage.

In Germany, if you have to cross to another platform by stairs, usually there is a conveyer belt by the side which help moving your luggage. Put your bag on the belt and give it a light push. Actually there is a sensor, sometimes won't work if blinded.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Zurich to Munich

Hi bofoster,

Thank you for the tips! Much appreciated.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Zurich to Munich

>While checking platform, also notice sector, there are indicater boards showing where you will find your carriage.

This only matters on ICE and IC trains in case you reserved a seat. If you travel without reservation (on the RE / IRE trains always) you just get in and look for free seats

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Zurich to Munich

Hi altamiro,

I've read on another site :

"You can store your luggage on the racks above the seats. There are also usually storage areas at the ends and sometimes in the center of the cars, although I wouldn't use these unless you have a chain lock or a clear view of the storage area."

This sounds like good advice. So do all the RE, IRE & ICE trains have racks above the seat area? If not I had better bring along a bicycle cable lock :).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Zurich to Munich

I have a slight change of plans. I think I would like spend a morning at Schaffhausen village and the Rhine falls. So if I do that in the morning and continue with my journey to Munich taking the RE 3776 at the appointed time rather than from Zurich, this should also be doable?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Zurich to Munich

This stuff about not using common luggage storage areas is, sorry, a complete nonsense. I woul not put a separate camera or laptop bag there, nothing that screams "I am expensive and easy to carry away" but no-one steals a suitcase - which is most likely just full of someones dirty clothes. If i catch anyone using a bike lock to chain his luggage to the rack - which normally means making half the rack unusable for other guests - i can guarantee that this someone gets in massive trouble for obstructing others.

How come that people ignore the fact their bags going through airports being handled by completely anonymous people out of their sights and then obsess about the luggage in the trains where it is well protected just by being in public view?

Besides the fact that Schaffhausen is not a village, your plan change depends on the type of ticket you have bought. If it is a standard ticket, you dont have to take any specific train - as long as you follow the route via Schaffhausen and Ulm you can take any earlier or later connection. If it is a discounted one you are bound to the particular ICE from Ulm to Munich. With the regional trains you are still flexible even then.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Zurich to Munich

Thanks altamiro! Have a good day!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Zurich to Munich

How much was your ticket? I can only find tickets for March 31st at EUR49. Is that the cheapest I can get? :$

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Zurich to Munich

The prices start from 39 euros if you booked early 92 days in advance. Take note that the timings and trains are fixed - miss your schedule and you need to rebook.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Zurich to Munich

Do I need to reserve seats if buying tickets without a pass? Can I choose to go WITHOUT reserving seats, and save the EUR5/person? Oh ya, it falls on Easter weekend, so I guess I should?

Edited: 3:50 am, March 25, 2013