We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss pass for 4 days including trip to Rigi

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss pass for 4 days including trip to Rigi

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Zurich for 4 days. We plan to travel by rail to and from the airport to our hotel in Zurich.

We also plan to travel to Lucerne and Mt Rigi on one of the days.

I having trouble accessing information on the cost of the train tickets.

I note that the entire trip from Zurich to Rigi is included on a Swiss pass.

Do you think it would be value for money if we purchase a Swiss pass?

Thanks for your help.

canada
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss pass for 4 days including trip to Rigi

For train (all transports) timetables and prices, see www.sbb.ch.

Add up all your transport needs, including ups and downs in the third dimension and compare prices. If you only go as far as Lucerne (short distance), just buy the point to point tickets. Where will you be heading after Switzerland? By which route? Fly or train?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss pass for 4 days including trip to Rigi

Thanks, we'll be heading to paris by train and have already purchased the tickets.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss pass for 4 days including trip to Rigi

Summerchaser, you really need to spend the time comparing point to point tickets vs. the Swiss Pass. We aren't going until January but I spent a lazy hour or two comparing them along with the Tell Pass. Surprisingly the Swiss Pass was by far the most expensive, and the Tell Pass was the best value by around €150.

There will be three of us, and we are staying four nights in Lucerne with the final night in Zurich before flying home. I simply compared the day trips we want to do from Lucerne (Mt Titlis and a Lake Cruise, possibly Rigi), as well as the costs of the museums we want to see in Lucerne and our train tickets to Zurich for our last night.

Bofoster has given you the website for Swiss rail above so get your prices from there. Even if it is too early to book for your particular journey (as ours obviously is!), you can still get a pretty good idea by looking at prices for a couple of months out.

Good luck and have fun planning.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss pass for 4 days including trip to Rigi

> Even if it is too early to book for your particular journey (as ours obviously is!),

No need to pre-book any journeys within Switzerland. However reservations are required for Glacier Express, Bernina Express and VIP seats on Golden Pass Panoramic VIP trains.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss pass for 4 days including trip to Rigi

Update:

We were in Switzerland for 4 fays last week. We didn't end up buying a Swiss pass. For us It was cheaper to just purchase the single tickets.

The ticket from the airport to Zurich HB was about 7CHF and the round trip from Zurich - Lucerne - vitznau - Rigi - arth Godlau - Zurich was 121 CHF per person.

We thoroughly enjoyed the day trip.

6. Re: Swiss pass for 4 days including trip to Rigi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 16, 2014