We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice or Zurich

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Palm Harbor, FL
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Venice or Zurich

My wife and I will be on a cruise this fall that ends in Venice. We will fly home 4 days later from Zurich. Should we spend most of our time in Venice, Zurich and/or somewhere else?

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice or Zurich

Wow, it depends what you like. Venice is crowded, dirty, and confusing, full of great art, architecture, and churches. It's romantic and vibrant. You have to watch your wallet.But you'll either love it, or hate it.

Zurich is rich and sedate, organized and some say, soul-less. I wouldn't spend 4 days there. I do like the Swiss National museum, and the Fraumunster with its Chagall windows is incredible. I don't think many people love Zurich.

I would consider 4 days in Luzern, where there are beautiful mountain excursions, a characterful old town, plenty of art, architecture, and restaurants, and the Transport Museum if you think you are either too old or too nervous for Venice.

I'm sure many others will have different opinions. Also, cheap in Italy is dirty. Be sure to stay in a nice hotel if you stay there.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,198 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice or Zurich

Hi Travel_Ken

For me comparing Zurich with Venice is like comparing Palm Harbour with Paris, haha

I agree with the above poster, better go to Lucerne. You can find heeps of information on www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum).

Happy planing

pore

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,126 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice or Zurich

Hi, it will take you a full day to get to Zurich from Venice by train and more than half a day by air so that eats up 1 of your 4 days. I think Venice is very difficult to even "dip in a toe" in less than 2 full days while you can get a feel for Zurich in a day pretty easily. I would suggest two full days in Venice, a day to get to Zurich, a day in Zurich and then fly out.

Given the possibility of rail strikes in Italy (they are usually announced and not a huge issue but...) or some other difficulty this also builds in a day for getting to Zurich for you flight.

Zurich is a city but I wouldn't say it is soulless. I like it a lot and rarely go to Switerland without spending some time in Zurich. It's been voted one of the best cities for quality of life in the world. Well worth a day of exploration!

Hope this helps.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,709 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice or Zurich

>Zurich is rich and sedate, organized and some say, soul-less.

That just shows you haven't been out in Niederdorf in the evening :-)

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice or Zurich

I would spend more time in Venice. Much more to see, the city is huge compared to Zürich's old town. And Venice is exceptional, Zürich is a city like many others.

What I totally disagree with is that Venice is dirty and full of live while Zürich is clean and soulless, quite the opposite is true. Venice is very touristic, it lacks of non-tourist live. It exists, but it you can feel that most people live directly from tourism. Zürich on the other hand is not dominated by tourists and has a huge amount of people who work, eat out, and go out in the city.

Of course need to go to Niederdorf or Langstrasse after 10pm feel that.

6. Re: Venice or Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, January 19, 2014