We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chocolate or cheese making tour

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,850 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
chocolate or cheese making tour

Hello everyone,

Could anyone, please recommend a chocolate or cheese making tour in the Zurich vicinity????

thanks in advance

Zurich Tourist Information – Offizielle Stadtfuhrungen
Visitor Centers, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours
Best of Switzerland Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Gray Line Zurich
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Foxtrail
Sightseeing Tours
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: chocolate or cheese making tour

> The bus ticket you will either have to buy at the ticket machine (mandatory before boarding for most local bus/trams), and if not available from the driver.

... and since the line no 180 is a bright yellow Swiss PostAuto bus, you can buy the tickets from the driver.

http://www.postauto.ch/en/pag-startseite/pag-taeglich-unterwegs/pag-fahrplan-und-linienverkehr/pag-im-kursbuch-suchen.htm?fpsearch=stein+ar

Edited: 12:20 am, February 02, 2013
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: chocolate or cheese making tour

... and here you find where the bus leaves from next to the train station (Hauptbahnhof) in St. Gallen: postauto.ch/pag-startseite/pag-taeglich-unte…

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,850 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: chocolate or cheese making tour

Maja S,

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. FEW matters to clear up more...

1/ Stein AR/ post is within zone 210, so i believe that the short distance ticket 2.30 CHF/ adult is OK for the transfer-free ride. 6 stops, 17 min.

What do you think???

2/ Do tickets purchased from the driver need validation???? If YES - are validators inside the bus????

3/ i already booked a guided tour with the Cheese factory, anyway... thanks for the reminder.

your help is greatly appreciated

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: chocolate or cheese making tour

> 1/ Stein AR/ post is within zone 210, so i believe that the short distance ticket 2.30 CHF/ adult is OK for the transfer-free ride. 6 stops, 17 min.

No, not true! Even for two reasons, actually. First of all, the "Kurzstrecke" ticket is only valid for the local (white-red-dark green) city buses (and secondly, there would even be 9 PostAuto bus stops between "Haptbahnhof St. Gallen" and "Stein AR, Post")!

--> The colored lines in St. Gallen by the St.Gallerbus: http://ostwind.ch/index.php?TPL=10129 , http://ostwind.ch/index.php?TPL=10117

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/31493394

You have to buy a regular 1-zone ticket for zone 210. Period.

> 2/ Do tickets purchased from the driver need validation???? If YES - are validators inside the bus????

Single tickets are validated automatically at the moment of purchase: there is already a time stamp on it, saying "gültig bis" (valid until).

Otherwise, just ask the people or the driver!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,850 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: chocolate or cheese making tour

Maja S,

Thank you again of the tremendous help and pointing out on my planning mistakes:

1/ Indeed i know see, 9 stops from St. Gallen to Stein AR/ post. ( google gave me that number - 6)

2/ I never suspected that <<"Kurzstrecke" ticket is only valid for the local (white-red-dark green) city buses>>

Indeed this is crucial point.

3/ so.... i figure out in the case that i also need to return to St. Gallen after my cheese tour, i better buy a tageskarte for 210 zone - 6.20 CHF/adult????

thanks again

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: chocolate or cheese making tour

3. correct. Then you can travel for free the whole day in this area. You could then e.g. have a visit in the Abbey of St. Gall with its amazing library with documents older than 1200 years. Or the lokremise, an old locomotive shelter, turned into a really nice cultural meeting point just behind the main rail station, if you are interested in modern art (have a visit in its Kunstmuseum): https://www.lokremise.ch/lokremise . Or have a visit in the textile museum (used to be an important business in this area until WWI).

Or, as a proposal, in Stein you could board the same (PostAuto) bus no. 180 into the same direction ("Bahnhof Herisau") as during your arrival and ask the driver for tickets to "Bahnhof Gossau", if you like a little detour. You say: "x mal nach Bahnhof Gossau" (x = amount of people). He will sell you then 3-zone tickets for the zones 210, 270, 212 for CHF 7.20, each.

In Herisau you get off from the bus (final station) and have a stroll through one of the two capitals of the small canton of Appenzell Outer Rhoden (German: Appenzell Ausserhoden). see here: tripadvisor.com/…46789416

Then you go back to the rail station in Herisau, take the small train to Gossau (a 6 minutes ride for just one stop, runs every half an hour at :07 and :37), though you could also take the bus no. 152 (a 16 minutes ride). In Gossau SG you buy a ticket back to Zurich HB (CHF 27.-).

> 2/ I never suspected that <<"Kurzstrecke" ticket is only valid for the local (white-red-dark green) city buses>>

It is actually even a bit more complicated, but do not mind. And it is also hard to understand, even if you understand German ;-)

> 1/ Indeed i know see, 9 stops from St. Gallen to Stein AR/ post. ( google gave me that number - 6)

Well, you know, Google is an US-American company, and I would not rely on them about such things. And even though, the world's second largest development centre of Google is in Zurich, they do things wrong - technically and societal. They do not even pay real taxes in Zurich - unfortunately because of a special agreement with the government. I detest this very much. They employ almost 1000 people there, but it is just disgusting how arrogant (and societal irresponsible) they behave - not really surprising, we know this very well from the particular 4.5% inhabitants of this world.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,850 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: chocolate or cheese making tour

Maja S,

Thanks again fr the invaluable feedback. Indeed Abbey of St. Gall is in my list of things to do, and being in St. Gallen it will be a mistake to miss the place.

The general plan is :

1/ to arrive from ZRH at about 9 am

2/ sightseeing around the town

3/ lunch at 11am

4/ at 1 pm i booked a cheese factory visit till 2:30pm

5/ depart to ZRH at about 4 pm

Do you have a restaurant to recommend, smth central ( cuisine of no matter) and not bank -breaking ( in a swiss way)?????

thanks a lot in advance

Schonefeld

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: chocolate or cheese making tour

Schonefeld,

I have not been in St. Gallen, recently. But my general advice is as following:

- Have a look here: map.search.ch/st.gallen.en.html… Just next to the Abbey there are many (small) and old (lovely) restaurants in the historic/pedestrian only part of St. Gallen

- Most ("classical" --> i.e.: frequented by Swiss) Swiss restaurants serve daily specials called "Menü 1", "Menü 2", "Menü 3" and so forth, normally written by hand or printed on a single sheet of paper. They are addressed to the working class/public and are therefore traditionally cheaper than the dishes from the normal menu (list). They normally range between about CHF 18 and 25 up to about 35 per plate, depending what they serve. - Yes, the daily specials and the menu (the dishes list) are both called the same: "Menü". Well, we do not like to make it too easy for foreigners! That would be no fun ;-)

This is actually valid for the whole of Switzerland.

- Do not expect that restaurant serves lunch before 11:30 (there are exceptions and a hint that you are not in a "classical" Swiss restaurant ;-). And expect that the restaurant will be fully packed by 12 o'clock on the minute (well, I am joking, but there is some truth about this ;-) If you arrive before 11:30, you will hardly have to make a reservation - except for very renowned spots. - True for the whole (German part of) Switzerland, again.

Hint: If you walk from the station to the Abbey (no need to take any bus, it is too close) then stroll along the restaurants, have a look on their menu, and if you like it, make a reservation before you visit the Abbey.

- Normally, all restaurants show their menu outside just next to the entrance in a small box. The daily specials (Menü 1 etc.) are often promoted on chalk boards standing in front of the restaurants - CH-wide.

- And for St. Gallen: Have look especially about the restaurants on the Bankgasse and the Schmiedgasse. Sometimes the dining rooms are on the first floor (second for anglo-saxons). - Though a fast check on the map shows me that there are of course also Italian ones, and additionally also Indian and a Tibetian one. Nothing against them, I like all their kitchen very much, but I remembered that these two streets were exceptionally placed only with very classical Swiss restaurants, one next to the other. Obviously, not the sprit of the currently young people and probably also too expensive and especially "too slow" for them. And I must admit, it makes me a bit sad! :-( And it probably goes along with reduction in quality as well.

Edited: 8:52 am, February 05, 2013
Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,850 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: chocolate or cheese making tour

Maja S,

Thank you very much for the detailed info and your hints.

You are very kind.

regards

Schonefeld

20. Re: chocolate or cheese making tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 08, 2014