We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich & surroundings in February 2013 for 9 days

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Topic
Zurich & surroundings in February 2013 for 9 days

Hi all,

Three of us, all 35+ males of age is planning to visit Zurich and surrounding areas/countries in February 2013 for 8 to 9 days. Titlis, Jungfraujoch - already planned. We would like to drive around, countryside stay, scenic drives, interlaken? , and visit Italy or a surrounding country. No skiiing. Can you suggest an itinerary? Any beautiful locations? Thanks.

Zainu

Bern
Level Contributor
16 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich & surroundings in February 2013 for 9 days

Hi, first I tried to give a detailed plan, but then I felt like changing cities every night would simply be too much and kill your whole experienced.

So, I think the best idea would be, given the "must visits" you've planed already:

2-3 nights in Zurich on arrival, visit the city and other landmarks nearby. If you buy the Swiss train pass, you can easily visit Bern, Basel, St. Gallen and other interesting cities on a half-day trip from Zurich as well for free. Trains drive every 30 minutes and take about 1 hour to each city.

If you like, you could also take the train to Konstanz/Constance in Germany, it's a nice city on the Bodensee/Lake Constance. Especially interesting if you're into shopping, as Switzerland is more expensive.

2-3 nights in Lucerne (or nearby), do a daytrip to Jungfrauhoch (if you REALLY insist.. it will be freaking cold in February) and Titlis (nearby) from it, as well as maybe a boat trip on Lake Lucerne, or visit the Rigi mountain.

2 nights in Ticino or Italy (Ticino is the Italian speaking part of Switzerland) - depending on weather it might be lovely spring, or freezing cold in February. If really cold, I suggest to go instead to the Valais/Wallis area. You might have heard of Zermatt/Matterhorn etc., but there are plenty of nice places there as well.

So Zurich, Lucerne, and then either Wallis/Valais or Ticino/Lago Maggiore (could also be on the Italian side) depending on weather for each 2-3 nights. To get around, for 3 people, a car might be a good idea, but the train system in Switzerland is also fairly affordable and clean&fast.

Enjoy your stay.

Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich & surroundings in February 2013 for 9 days

I only have 7days and trying to cover as much as possible.Is a day trip from Zurich to Bern possible?Any must sees in Bern?

We will be coming in oct,all the hotels in Zurich are super super expensive,esp when u convert back to my currency.It seems impossible to find a room near the main train station for less than CHF90,sigh ...

Bern
Level Contributor
16 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich & surroundings in February 2013 for 9 days

applerain, given you're from Singapore, I'm surprised you're complaining about hotel prices that much, because after Switzerland, Singapore is the most expensive country in the world regarding hotels, at least that's my feeling when I booked hotels in Singapore ;)

You can still find rooms for about 100 CHF in Zurich, but it will be rather basic accomodation like Ibis, Etap, or Holiday Inn Express, and obviously not in prime locations. Actually, they're not a bad choice at all. Those 3 brands usually don't charge (much) more for a second or third person in the room - so if you're together, they're much cheaper than most other hotels in Switzerland, where often there is a massive price hike between 1 and 2 people occupancy.

Yes, you can travel from Zurich to Bern in under 1 hour by train. Every 30 minutes there is a connection. Best thing is to get a Swiss travel pass, which allows you to travel around Switzerland freely on all trains, buses, trams, most ships and some mountain cablecars as well.

Must see in Bern: Clearly the old town which still looks ancient as no TV antenna etc. are allowed, the Bundeshaus (Swiss parliament), the Bärengraben (bear house, real bears inside, not a zoo though), there is nice swimming in the river in Bern (just as there is in Zurich) if you happen to be there in summer, or just check Tripadvisor on it ;-)

Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich & surroundings in February 2013 for 9 days

Yeah,I live in Singapore but I dont stay in the hotels ;) But having travelled to so many places,Zurich was a shocker when it came to the prices,as in other parts of Europe I could still can get a 2 star hotel at EUR50.After looking at more than 30hotels,only Ibis West price was still manageable,around CHF130 per night.

Will go read more about Bern.

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich & surroundings in February 2013 for 9 days

thanks a lot for taking ur time for this. Happy with the detailing. Hows the weather going to be in Feb? Very cold or manageable? Rgrds

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich & surroundings in February 2013 for 9 days

WorldTraveller...thanks a lot for taking ur time for this. Happy with the detailing. Hows the weather going to be in Feb? Very cold or manageable? Any beautiful countryside villages in Swiss? Will it be covered by snow and not visible? Rgrds Zainu

Bern
Level Contributor
16 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zurich & surroundings in February 2013 for 9 days

Hi Zainu. Currently it's cold (Day about 0 or little below, night about minus 5 Celsius), little snow in the city of Zurich, more in the mountains. A bit harsher than average winter I would say. Expect it to be about that in February too, however it could be also colder (Last winter was one of the coldest, with temperatures between Minus 10 and Minus 20) or also up to about 10C.. but generally, February is a cold month in Switzerland, rarely much different (Other months like October or April can be anything from 0C to 25C, February is usually just about -5C to 5C) - no worries though, there is good heating everywhere and plenty of things you can do.

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Zurich & surroundings in February 2013 for 9 days

World Traveller:

Thanks.

Ok :-(

If in Feb, is there any beautiful lakes to go and any accommodation around it? Like a house? Hows Gimmelwald in Feb?

How will March or May going to be? May, rains? Pls let me know.

Bern
Level Contributor
16 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zurich & surroundings in February 2013 for 9 days

Yes, there is plenty of nice "winter lakes" in Switzerland in February. The smaller, higher ones up in the mountain are usually frozen solid by then, and you can walk / skate on them, like those in Davos, St. Moritz, etc.

I assume you mean Grindelwald? It's lovely in February, as most mountain places. Obviously cold, but good heating indoor everywhere, and definitely a fun place to go.

March is a bit warmer usually, but still mostly winter in the mountains, will it can have nice, sunny days (up to 15C or so) in the cities (like Bern, Basel, Zürich) - or still relatively cold and snow, really depends..

May is a good month, not hot yet, but mostly warm, usually not more rain then average.

Hotel prices in both March and May should be lower than in February in the mountain areas (February is ski season)

Generally, mid December till October is always a good time to go to Switzerland. I would only say that November and early December isn't really nice because it's cold already, but little snow usually, and most touristic activities aren't open or have reduced service. But as I said, Mid December till October is nice all year, but different places to go all year round.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Zurich & surroundings in February 2013 for 9 days

Find all and detailed weather & climate information for all over Switzerland here: www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/en/climate.html

But be aware that climatologists usually talk about the mean daily/ monthly temperature.

Day highest and day lowest you normally only find at forecasts.

It also shows/proves how much warmer the climate got during the last 25+ years compared to the last 150 years of measurement!!! Climate change is a reality:

…admin.ch/web/…trends_in_switzerland.html

Or just look at the dramatical reduction of our glaciers during the last decades, the source and storage of fresh and clean water for the half of whole Europe!

Edited: 9:24 am, January 22, 2013