We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich Card .... worth it?

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
296 posts
325 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich Card .... worth it?

So, I've been trying to figure out whether or not to get the Zurich Card ... when I look at the Museums we are planning to visit it would have cost 34CHF ... and the 72hr card is 48CHF ... while we won't use it to come from the airport ... how much is local transportation in Zurich? We are staying in Old Town ... do you think we would use 14CHF in trains/trams/etc? And we are planning on a day trip to Mt. Rigi and Lucerne will this help with any of the transportation getting there?

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
251 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich Card .... worth it?

Comparing to NY Zürich is a very small city and most of the touristic places are easy to reach by foot. So it is not really necessary to use public transport in Zürich and that would be the most benefit of the ZURICHCARD. But the public transport is for free, so you can just hop on and hop off the trams and the trains. (even the train to the Uetliberg is included an this is a nice viewpoint.) And a round trip on the lake is also included in the ZURICHCARD.

But I know your situation, I had the same last october with the tourist card in New York. I did not buy it and it would have been better for me if I had done it. :-)

For Lucerne there is a possibility to get it cheaper. The ZURICH CARD is valid for the train to Thalwil. If you take a train from Zürich to Lucerne which stops in Thalwil than you have only to buy a ticket from Thalwil to Lucerne. Costs: (roundtrip) Zürich - Lucerne: CHF 48.--; Thalwil - Lucerne CHF 37.--. Trains with a stop in Thalwil leave at Zürich Mainstation every half an hour: ex.: 10.04 and 10.35......

enjoy your trip

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
46,935 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich Card .... worth it?

Same dilemma with me here.....but after calculation of my transport expenses for 3 days ( need to travel to Walliselen), also to/ from airport, and considering a short lake trip ( in winter time - ONLY on Saturday and Sunday), i figure out - it`s the SAME as buying every day 24 hours pass for zones 110 and 121......

So... i see little worthiness in zurichcard............at least for my purpose.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
296 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich Card .... worth it?

I am reevaluting the Zurich Card -- I think if I group museums to one day the 24hr pass might be good. But thinking about the 72hr (48CHF) trying to decide if buying it could be a better deal.

Can you tell me if we are planning on going to Luzern for the day, if any of the travel benefits would be there?

Does it cover the train from Zurich to Arth-Goldau or from Luzern back to Zurich? I remember for above someone mentioned Thalwil. But we are going to go Zurich- Arth-Goldau-Rigi kulum - then back Rigi Kulum- Viznau- Boat- Lucerne and then later Lucerne-Zurich.

Would the card help for that route at all? I guess coming back we could do the Lucerne -Thalwil and save 11CHF - does day or night matter?

Also, I dont understand the night time aspect? Is local Zurich transportation not included at night? What time is considered night?

Thanks so very much!!!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich Card .... worth it?

Night time:

Zurich local transportation as well as all other public transportation in Switzerland runs until about 0:30 am (this is included in the normal fare). There are no night buses during the week, Friday and Saturday there are night buses in Zurich (one every hour). They cost 5 francs in addition to the regular fare - but I've you're staying in the center of Zurich you won't need them, as you can walk.

Zurich - Arth - Goldau:

If you take a train that stops in Thalwil on your way to Arth-Goldau, you can just buy a ticket from Thalwil if you have the Zurich card. There are two trains every hour to Arth-Goldau, one stops in Thalwil (42 minutes), the other doesn't (37 minutes).

You can check timetable and prices on www.sbb.ch

Thalwil - Arth-Goldau, one way, full price = 16.60

Zürich - Arth - Goldau, one way, full price = 20.80

I've often had visitors in Zurich and they never took the Zurich card.

Edited: 5:12 pm, February 18, 2013
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich Card .... worth it?

Just a few fares in CHF, full fare, 2nd class:

- Zurich (zone 110) 24h card: 8.40

- Zurich and Airport (zones 110 and 121) 24h card: 13.20

- Kunsthaus collection: 15.-

- Kunsthaus exhibitions: 22.-

- ZurichCard 24h: 24.-

So even if you only stay in Zurich and only visit the collection part of the art museum, then you already pay the same as the price of a ZurichCard!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
296 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich Card .... worth it?

You might have a good point ... as we are seeing serveral museums on the same day. Unfortunatelly the Kunsthaus -- only uses the Zurich card for the collection ... you would have to pay for the exhibition. Still a 4CHF savings. Thanks for the information!!

7. Re: Zurich Card .... worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 25, 2014