We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Airport on a 6 Hour Layover

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
312 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving Airport on a 6 Hour Layover

Hi, I'm looking at my options for a flight back to Australia from Nice. One flight has a 6 & a bit hour stopover in Zurich, landing at 4pm & leaving at 10.45pm.

I've read other posts regarding getting into town, doing the Old Town walk, checking out the lake & getting back to to airport - so know it's do-able.

My question is - am I going to have a drama with customs for leaving the airport during a stopover?

I've not been to Zurich, so would enjoy the chance to see a bit of the city - but not if it's going to be a hassle at the airport.

I would like to have dinner in town as well (dining solo), so will be open to suggestions on where to eat.

(travelling late August & flight will be a Wednesday)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Judi,

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving Airport on a 6 Hour Layover

There won't be hassle. You are on a Schengen flight so there's no passport control on arrival in Zurich. You just follow the exit signs on arrival and behave as a normal departing passenger when you come back to the airport. Noone will know or care. But don't ask permission as they don't generally like the idea of anyone with checked luggage leaving the airport.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
312 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving Airport on a 6 Hour Layover

Thanks JT. I'll take your advice on keeping my mouth shut - some would say that's an impossibility for me lol!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving Airport on a 6 Hour Layover

You aren't going to have any problems at all. IF you can interline your luggage (not if you come in on EasyJet) you won't see it. If you cannot, then reclaim it and take it to the Check in desk for your next flight. Get your boarding pass and then check your carry on in a locker at the station. Take the train into town.

Allow around 90-100mins from the time you get back to the station in town till your flight time. 2245 flight means be at the Zürich HB station by 2100 or so. Trains run often but you might have to wait 20mins for one. then you need to get to Security, go through it etc. AND you need to be at the Gate at least 45mins before if your are in Eco, maybe 30 in Business but I would not run it that finely.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
312 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving Airport on a 6 Hour Layover

Thank you Hambagahle for your precise reply. My luggage should be sent through to Melbourne, so I will only have a small carry on to worry about.

It won't leave a lot of time, but enough for me to zip through the Old Town (you can sight-see sooo much quicker on your own!), grab some photo opportunities on the lake & grab a quick meal before heading back to the airport - without anyone knowing I even left, if I remember to take JT's advice!

Thanks again,

Judi.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving Airport on a 6 Hour Layover

Frankly I do not think the airport (or the airline) care what you do on your layover even if you have checked bags. After all, we can check in bags here the night before - and surely we are not then going to sit in the transit lounge!!

Have a super time in Zürich but keep your eye on the clock!!

6. Re: Leaving Airport on a 6 Hour Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 08, 2014