We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 hour layover - zoo??

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Telford
7 posts
Save Topic
11 hour layover - zoo??

Hi guys,

My partner and I are stuck in Zurich on Sunday 27th January from 11.30am until 10.45pm en route to South Africa. We were thinking about going to the Zoo and having a stroll around Zurich city centre. First of all, is this realistically possible in about 6 hours?? Also is it fairly easy to navigate everywhere for someone who only speaks English?? And finally, will most places accept visa as I don't want to carry any Swiss francs if possible?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Telford
7 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 11 hour layover - zoo??

Thank you all for your help. Finally sorry to be a pain. But can you recommend a good cafe/restaurant reasonably priced, somewhere along ollers route??

Thanks you again.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,862 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 11 hour layover - zoo??

The two restaurants I like best are a bit on the high side of prices - Zimmerleuten and the Zur Haue, both on the Limmatquai and thus on Oller's route...

There is a café in the station - Brasserie Fédéral I think it is - that Kileysmom likes a lot. Also, if not on a Sunday, the Manora restaurant in the Manor store on the Bahnhogfstrasse. It is self service, but really freshly cooked food, good salads etc. And about as cheap as you can get! Finally the Hotel Adler in the old town on the right bank of the Limmat has a "Swiss" restaurant so if you fancy a fondue that is a good place to go.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 11 hour layover - zoo??

Yes, it is the Federal at the hauptbahnhof that I enjoy. The food is decent and Swiss, they have a huge selection of beers for those who enjoy beer (I don't) and some good Swiss wines, the people watching is just terrific as well! It is an old fashioned brasserie and great fun!

There are a ton of little restaurants and another option is the Sprungli shop at Paradeplatz on the Bahnhofstrasse - they have good pre-made sandwiches, drinks, etc. as well as lovely chocolates by the kilo so you can get a picnic to take to the lake just a few blocks further down. You could do the same thing by picking up a picnic at the delis or Migros supermarkets in the shopping center on the lower level of the train station.

Have a great few hours in Zurich!

Telford
7 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: 11 hour layover - zoo??

Thank you very much. I think that will definitely help for our few hours in Zurich.

15. Re: 11 hour layover - zoo??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 06, 2014