We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA

Hyderabad
1 post
Save Topic
Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA

HI,

Me n my husband are travelling from India to USA via Zurich.

We are having 6 hours in Zurich airport. We have Indian Passports and valid US Visa. Do we need any other VISA for going and roaming Zurich.

Thanks IN Advance

Roopal

Best Seller
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,081 Reviews
from $169.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,098 Reviews
from $260.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
391 Reviews
from $260.50*
68 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,053 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA

Hi Roopal,

Yes unfortunately you need a transit Schengen visa. Easier to get than a normal longer-stay one but still a visa. Same as when a Westerner would transit in India, we're both treated as badly by the authorities.

But you could stay airside in the airport, it's not a bad one to entertain oneself for a couple of hours...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,754 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA

Roopai -

6 hours is somewhat limited anyway for visiting Zürich. By the time you get through Immigration, get a train into town and get to town an hour will have passed at least. Then you need to be at the airport at the very least 90mins before your flight to the US. So out of your 6hrs you only have 3 and a bit left. Not much time at all. And is it worth spending all the time and money you would have to, to get a Schengen visa for a total of 3hrs sightseeing??

(As I understand it, you have to provide a lot of paper backup, like copies of bank accounts etc) I really don't think it is worth it.

There are nice shops in the transit lounge. Also showers should you feel like taking one. here is a link to info about the shopping:

zurich-airport.com/desktopdefault.aspx/…

On the same site you can find a link to passenger services and to restaurants.

Pune
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA

Hi,

I have layover of almost 22 hrs on Zurich airport while travelling from UK to India. I hold an Indian passport and have a British student visa. Can I leave the airport on transit visa or I need a schengen visa?

Regards,

Yogendra

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,754 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA

As I told you in a PM you must ask the Swiss Embassy in the UK this question. We are not qualified to answer it!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
383 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA

We will be visiting Switzerland this summer for 5 nights. Is a Visa needed for travelers from the USA?

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,754 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA

US passport holders do not need a visa to visit Switzerland for stays of up to 90 days.

California
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA

Just curious...did you decide to leave the airport when you landed in Zurich because of the long layover? Any suggestions as to what to do for 1/2 day (I'm arriving at 3:30 p.m.)?

Thank you!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA

Please take a look through the top question about this (on the upper right) and via the search link - there are so many threads about exactly this subject with lots of suggestions and advice about what to do on a layover. You'll find the search box at the top of this or any thread. If you don't find what you are looking for, please start a new thread with specific questions.

Edited: 4:03 pm, June 21, 2014
9. Re: Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, June 23, 2014

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,754 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA

You can check your bags in a locker at the airport train station and if all lockers are full then take them to the Luggage Office at the station. Cost for storage is 10frs/bag. Lockers are a bit cheaper and vary in size.

You then take a train into town - Zürich HB station. From there see this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188113-i337-k42…

With a short time in town (you will need to leave for the airport 90mins AT LEAST before your fllght time) stick to the walk around the old town and perhaps the Bahnhofstrasse.

You will need some Swiss francs for coffees, souvenirs, post cards etc and you can get these at an ATM at the airport. Train ticket you get from a machine at the station and can use a CC.

Reply to: Layover in Zurich for 6 hours, Do we need a VISA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted