We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski holiday

Irvine, Ca
Level Contributor
10 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Ski holiday

I want to ski 3-4 days in early January. I will be arriving from New York on December 30 or 31 and I did not know if it would be best to wait till I arrive to purchase a last minute ski package or if I should try to find and book one now. I am hoping for a package that includes room, transfer, and half board, possibly in Grindelwald or Innsbrook but I am flexible.

Any ideas?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
293 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski holiday

One of the busiest times of the year so I would get booking what's left now! Personally I would get the accomodation arranged and travel independently, very few places will do the kind of customised short term package you are looking for without charging horrific prices. I would also broaden your scope of locations for skiing, mainly based on your current ability. For a multi level resort I would recommend Arosa from Zurich, but again it gets very busy there first week of January.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski holiday

You can book hotel and transfer through SBB, the swiss train company, www.sbb.ch/en. Lift passes can be bought on arrival, you will need to check ski schools though if you need lessons.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski holiday

What is your EXACT overall itinerary (dates/times/flights/destination). What are you doing after your short ski break.

This will also have a huge bearing on where it is best to go.

"Packages" are more for the ski holiday industry (mostly brits) where they have to fly in and then get bussed to resort.

Many people tend to book ski holidays independantly directly with accommodation owners. Sometimes Hotel owners will offer a "package" but this will be accommodation including skipass.

Personally I doubt if you will get anywhere in a ski resort full stop.

Hoteliers over the Xmas period are unwilling to take less than 7 days. The "7" night period over Xmas normally falls around the 22nd or 23rd December. This year it has fallen ideal for the Hoteliers as the 22nd is also a Saturday (they like Sat to Sat bookings generally). Therefore "Xmas" weeks will be 22-29 Dec and 29th Dec to 5th Jan

I have tried in the past of getting a short break over christmas and I can leave it until the very last minute but to no avail.

As said above don't limit yourself.

Also if relying on public transport your overall itinerary is hugely important. Without flight times/arrivals/departures no idea if you could even get to or from a resort.

AUSTRIA/INNSBRUCK

As you have mentioned Innsbruck

There are direct Intercity services from Zürich to Innsbruck 3h30. There are numerous services throughout the day running every 2hrs

www.oebb.at for Austrian rail

There is no real decent skiing in Innsbruck but there are local skibuses to a couple of resorts.

Not large skiing areas though

AXAMER LIZUM

http://www.axamer-lizum.at/en/

http://efa.vvt.at/vvtadr/TTB/D_000016d4.pdf

KÜHTAI

kuehtai.info/english/winterurlaub/home.html

kuehtai.info/english/…service-bus.html

You may have more luck finding accommodation in the city than in a ski resort

ST ANTON AM ARLBERG

These same ZÜRICH -Innsbruck Intercity services stop at St Anton am Arlberg. The station is in the middle of the village. It only takes 2h20 from Zürich

St Anton is really for more adept/advance skiers. Well known for its off piste/skiroutes. Also for its Apres ski/party atmosphere.

Lech/Zürs also included on the lift pass. Linked by local skibus Stuben.

www.stantonamarlberg.com

stantonamarlberg.com/en/winter/skigebiet/pan…

I expect you will have problems getting accommodation in St Anton

GENERAL - ACCOMMODATION LOCATION

Please Note whenever looking for accommodation always check the EXACT location of any property. Do not rely on the property's "town" address or Hotels blurb.

Small one horse towns/isolated property do not have their own "postal" address and therefore have to take the name from the nearest town. You could find yourself literally miles form where you thought you were going. I've known properties 6km away from their postal town ,4km of which was up a mountain road.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,663 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski holiday

Hi, unless you book a week-long holiday through one of the ski companies (mostly in London), you will need to put this together a la carte. However, it is so easy to get from either Geneva or Zurich to most of the ski areas that it isn't very difficult and you need only speak English.

Once you decide on a resort and have gotten a room (really tough for the 1st week of January but friends with hotels tell me the bookings are down quite a bit this year so you may be lucky), post here and we can help you to navigate the airport to ski area stuff.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 10:56 pm, December 09, 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
28 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski holiday

Given this is one of the busiest time of the year for ski holidays in not only Switzerland but also near by countries (Austria, France, etc.), I would definitely book the hotel as soon as possible! It's not worth risking this and wait until you arrive. The rest such as meals and lift tickets do not need to be booked in advance, but please book your accommodation now so that you won't be disappointed.

6. Re: Ski holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 07, 2014