We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claiming EU VAT rebate after leaving Munich for Zurich

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
Claiming EU VAT rebate after leaving Munich for Zurich

I'll be leaving Munich for Zurich later this week via train and was wondering how I can go about getting my VAT refunded. I received contradicting instructions so far with the tourist office at the Munich train station insisting I can get the forms stamped at the Zurich airport when I leave Europe while the staff at the boutiques said I had to get them stamped before reaching Switzerland. Does anyone know which is correct? If the latter is, which is the last train stop in Germany before entering Switzerland and how do I get the forms stamped?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
20 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Claiming EU VAT rebate after leaving Munich for Zurich

It has been a couple of years since I took the train from Zurich to Munich and back, but we did purchase goods while in Munich. On our way back, a group of German Customs officials boarded the train at Lindau,Germany and stamped our receipts. As far as I know, the receipts need to be stamped by the Customs officials of the country where the purchases were made - so the staff at the boutique were right. Getting them stamped at Zurich airport might prevent you from getting the EU VAT back because you did not buy the good in Switzerland and because Switzerland is not part of the EU. Also remember that in order to avoid having to pay Swiss VAT on your German purchases, you are allowed a maximum of 300 Swiss Francs of goods per person. If you are unlucky, are checked by Swiss customs and are bringing goods over that limit, you will be charged Swiss VAT. You can visit the swiss customs website to find out what duty free allowance are covered.... …admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/…

2. Re: Claiming EU VAT rebate after leaving Munich for Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, December 14, 2013