We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary ....Your kind suggestions please

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philippines
Level Contributor
127 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary ....Your kind suggestions please

Hello everyone. We am flying in to Zurich and will be staying for three nights in October. We plan to go to either Lucerne or Basel (stay for a few nights), after Zurich, before we fly back home to the Philippines. Can you please give us suggestions on where to stay? I intend to go see as much beautiful sights as I can in those areas (mountains and lakes) before I go back to my tropical islands. By the way, I will be flying back to the Philippines from Zurich (afternoon flight).

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary ....Your kind suggestions please

Hi saint28daisy

I would recommend you take the train from Zurich-Airport to Lucerne - see www.sbb.ch/en (also for all informations concerning public transport in Switzerland) - and spend your time in the area.

There is more to do at the Lucerne area then you have time for - see www.luzern.com and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum).

Lucerne is only one train hour away from Zurich-Airport and there is a direct train at least once an hour. This means that you can easily go to the airport on the day of departure.

Have fun

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,163 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary ....Your kind suggestions please

Basel is wonderful and the Rhine flowing through it is very impressive but it lacks mountains and lakes which you say you want to see! so Luzern is a good choice. It is not in the mountains, but near enough so you can easily go to one or two while there. If you want a high mountain, then go to Mt Titlis which is near Engelberg, about 90mins train ride from Luzern. If a lower one will do, then there is either Rigi or Pilatus either of which can make a day trip OR even a somewhat rushed half day trip.

With an afternoon flight I would suggest you go to Zürich in the early morning, leave your bags at the station (lockers) and then explore the old town, have lunch and then head for the airport. here is a link to a walking tour of the old town of Zürich which can easily be done starting at the main station:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188113-i337-k42…

Disregard the "2 days" - you can walk comfortably around much of the old town in a couple of hours. You won't have time to go to the lake and take a boat cruise but you certainly can see quite a bit of Zürich and it is a really beautiful town. The old town extends on both sides of the Limmat river and the view from the Lindenhof terrace is superb!

Philippines
Level Contributor
127 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary ....Your kind suggestions please

Thank you for your replies. When we go up to the mountains, can we rent Winter Jackets there? I don't think I have that thick jackets:((:(: Towards the last week in October, normally how is the weather in there in Switzerland??

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,163 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary ....Your kind suggestions please

Last week of October expect it to be around 10-15C in the daytime on the plain and on or below freezing in the mountains. Also it rains a lot, which is snow in the mountains. Colder of course at night.

You might want to invest in a warm anorak to use while you are here. Also waterproof and sturdy shoes. Many of our towns have cobbled streets. You could buy a relatively cheap anorak at any Manor store or a Coop City. You also need gloves and a hat.

5. Re: Itinerary ....Your kind suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, December 14, 2013