We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help with train from lucerne to zurich with 14 ppl

missouri
Level Contributor
254 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
need help with train from lucerne to zurich with 14 ppl

Hi, I need some reasurrance on how easy it will be to travel with 14 ppl..most in 60's and 70's and luggage? Is there anyone to help load luggage on train and if so..where is it stored and such? Will be traveling from Lucerne to Zurich airport hotel so when we arrive how do we get to the hotel, bus or taxi? Sorry for all the questions, but just want to make sure it is something we can do.

Thank you!

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,015 reviews
from $173.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
350 reviews
from $249.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,040 reviews
from $249.80*
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: need help with train from lucerne to zurich with 14 ppl

You need to make a reservation and you will get a reduction while travelling as a group (1 person for free, supposedly). Check here: www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/groups.html

If you have a reservation, some compartments will be reserved just for your group.

Unfortunately, there is no special help for luggage transport from hotel to train coach by SBB, if you do not choose the general baggage service: sbb.ch/en/…baggage.html

But if you want to take your luggage along with you, you will have to ask your hotel to support you from hotel to coach and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,966 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help with train from lucerne to zurich with 14 ppl

Hi,

Some of the hotels at the airport have shuttle service. Most of the shuttles I've seen can hold maybe 10 people. When you say airport hotel, do you mean the Radisson Blu? It is a fairly long but level surface walk from the train station through a tunnel.

There is are shuttle/limo services in Zurich that use van type buses and you might want to consider having them collect you in Lucerne and take you to the hotel in Zurich. This way your luggage is loaded at the hotel in Lucerne and off loaded at the airport hotel. The one I use is

www.checkin-allways.com

They are reliable and provide a reasonably priced service at least around Zurich.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 2:06 pm, September 03, 2012
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help with train from lucerne to zurich with 14 ppl

If you say airport hotel, I suppose you have a flight the next day, so I would suggest you check if it is possible to check in the day before. This way you are with light on-bord luggage only and you have all your bording passes already. Without a lot of luggage, the hotel transfer buses should be able to accomodate you all.

missouri
Level Contributor
254 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help with train from lucerne to zurich with 14 ppl

Are rail-europe and sbb the same train system? I have decided to take the train from Basel to Lucerne one day and then from Lucerne to the Zurich airport on the next afternoon because our hotel has a shuttle that will pick us up. Thank you!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,044 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help with train from lucerne to zurich with 14 ppl

>Are rail-europe and sbb the same train system?

Rail Europe is not a train system, it is a ticket reseller.

>I have decided to take the train from Basel to Lucerne one day and then from Lucerne to the Zurich airport on the next afternoon because our hotel has a shuttle that will pick us up.

There is not much sense in staying at an airport hotel instead of in Zürich unless you have an early flight...

missouri
Level Contributor
254 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help with train from lucerne to zurich with 14 ppl

Ohhh, well thank you for that clarification. So, I have a quote from the group department at rail europe, so will I be able to just purchase 1st class tickets for my group when I arrive in Basel and then again in Lucerne? I have several leaving on early flights, hence the airport hotel.

Thank you very much!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need help with train from lucerne to zurich with 14 ppl

Rail Europe is an American Reseller of train tickets. SBB is the Swiss National Railway...they are NOT the same thing.

Do not purchase from Rail Europe unless you want to pay more. Don't stay at an airport hotel and waste your last night. Stay in Lucerne or Zurich at a hotel right next to the train station. Next morning board the train which will deposit you directly into the Zurich Airport.

You can also check your baggage for your flight home at many Swiss Rail Stations including Lucerne. You get your boarding pass and seat assignment for your flight home while you check your luggage in at the rail station. The Swiss sure make this simple:

sbb.ch/en/…check-in-at-the-railstation.html

missouri
Level Contributor
254 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need help with train from lucerne to zurich with 14 ppl

Wow! This is why I love these forums! Thank you, very much. Still wondering if I can purchase 1st class tickets the day of travel for 14 people? Thanks.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: need help with train from lucerne to zurich with 14 ppl

If you go to the www.sbb.ch website and then click on Travelcards and passes then find Tickets for Switzerland. There is a list and click on Group tickets.

That tells you about buying tickets for groups and it appears ypu can do it online.

You can buy the tickets on the day of travelling but you might not get seats together (you'll all get a seat though).

The train from Lucerne to Zurich is usually but not always a low floor entry double decker train so easy to roll luggage onto. It starts from Lucerne so you will have plenty of time to get aboard. If you do reserve for your group the reservation will be stuck on the correct coach windows just look for it as you go along the train.

Edited: 4:25 am, September 20, 2012
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,044 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need help with train from lucerne to zurich with 14 ppl

As a group booking you get a discount (1 person travels fir free for every 10), which you won't get by just buying single tickets. But there is nothing to stop you from getting onto the train. 1st class outside of rush hour is a massive waste of money, IMO