We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
israel
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
transportation

I need some help with transportation (too many options, I get confused)

4 nights on the third week of September. Hotlel Helmhaus.

My plan is to be on the first and last day in town. (as I have a bit of a bad knee I want to be able to use freely public transportation).

One day I plan to take a day tour to Appenzelle (or go by myself). And one day to take the train to lindau.

Is there any way to make the train travel to lindau less expensive ?

On the days that I only go to the central station and back, shuld I take a day card ?

My flight lands at 19.30 so the hotel shuttle will be only once an hour is it 19.00, 20.00. 21.00?

If I have to wait an hour I will take the train to central and the tram 4. In that case and if I go to one or two musems the next day is it worth buying the zurich card for 24 hours ?

And last. Can I go one way by boat and back by train to Rappersville and be back by noon.

Thanks so much. shula

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation

Do you want to go to Lindau/Germany, on lake of Constance? Any specific reasons for that? Would be the same direction as Appenzell, maybe the two destinations can be combined (which would also reduce the price).

The only cheaper train tickets are the supersaver tickets which have to be purchased online. These tickets are only valid on certain trains. See www.rail.ch

Zurich Card costs CHF 20, a day card CHF 8.20. You can check how much the entrance fees for the museums are and then decide which solution would be the best for you.

If you are willing to get up early, it would be possible to take the boat to Rapperswil and be back at noon. However it would be recommendable to spend some time in the nice small town of Rapperswil. Again you can check the schedule on www.rail.ch. Click on 'advanced search', choose the boat as only option and choose 'Zürich Bürkliplatz' as your starting point. The pier is only 5 min. walking from your hotel.

israel
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation

not my first time in swizerland. always wanted to see the houses in Appenzell and hopefully will get the tour with chokolade and cheeze on my stay.

Lindau is supposed to be a very nice little town and read many recomendation. (small and compact is great with a bad kneea).

I just want to spend a nice short break. might go instead of rushing to Rappensville(wich the tour to appenzell passes with a short break) to the zoo (but was in Vienna zoo just 2 month ago).

am going to try get the online ticket.

thank you for your help. shula

3. Re: transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, December 15, 2013