We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Braunwald in late August

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Braunwald in late August

We are two mother and daughter, 30ish and 60ish, who will be in Zurich in late August and would like several days of hiking. The carfree village of Braunwald sounds interesting, but am wondering how busy it is in late August and how touristy. Have you been there? What advice would you give us? Is there another place we should consider? Thanks!

Chico, California
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Braunwald in late August

There's not much to Braunwald other than the fabulous Märchenhotel maerchenhotel.ch/maerchenhotel/english.php

We stayed there overnight (we did the entire Alpine Pass Route and routed through the village) and were positively charmed. Although focused on children, we (two couples 40s - 60s) found it divine and very interesting. I'm not sure that there are any other businesses in town other than the lift to get you up there. The hotel is very busy on the weekends, perhaps not so much during the week once school in back in session.

Other than the Märchen, I think it's mostly a mountain-biking destination. At least that's what it seemed in our short visit there.

The hiking in the Bernese Oberland is stunning, if you are looking for alternatives. You can base in one of the car-free villages of Wengen or Mürren and hike to your hearts' content. We stayed in Wengen for 3 months one summer and never ran out of things to do and see in the area.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Braunwald in late August

In Braunwald are more hotel and place to stay for all the budget!Look the homepage(www.braunwald.ch).

-Adrenalin hostel

-Hüttenberg Lodge

-hotel Cristal

-chalet Ahorn

-Hotel Tödiblick

.........and same good restaurant

-UHU restaurant

-ahorn

-cristal

Edited: 7:07 am, August 27, 2012
Chico, California
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Braunwald in late August

Thanks for the good info, mcegue79! Who knew?

We didn't see anything else in the area when we were there. I guess it's hard to see anything other than the Märchen if you are staying there, it really is a great experience.

OP has likely come and gone by now, but for others that may be interested in Braunwald here's a link to a map of the area. http://www.braunwald.ch/files/?id=4372

Based on the map it's clear that there is a small village (with a bakery and a small food shop), with lodging/restaurants spread out over a wider area. Website also describes walking/hiking trails in and around the area as well as other diversions possible.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
251 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Braunwald in late August

I think it is refreshing, that not everybody is going to Wengen/Lauterbrunnen. I like Braunwald – it is nature. Very nice for hiking. There is nothing else to do, just enjoy the view and the nature and hike and relax. The village is very small and maybe at a sunny weekend there will be some day tourism from Zurich, but during the week there are not much people there.

5. Re: Braunwald in late August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 01, 2013