We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland for 2 days in June

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Switzerland for 2 days in June

Hi, we are travelling to Europe with our two kids in June, and our flight from the US gets in to Zurich on 16th morning, and we were planning to be in Paris on the 18th night. I was thinking of spending one day in Lucerne and one in Interlaken/Grindenwald, and then taking the train from Bern (or Geneva) to Paris. Is this a good itinerary? Do we have time to go to Zermatt or Geneva? Also, does anyone have good suggestions for hotels for 4 people? Thanks for your help.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,967 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland for 2 days in June

Hi OregonMumbaikar

I would stay at Lucerne and do one of the great excursions from there. For more detailed information look at www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum).

From Lucerne you can take the TGV from Berne but I would take the one from Basel - see www.sbb.ch/en -.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,275 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland for 2 days in June

you are trying to do too much in a very short time. I know that Switzerland looks small on a map - but we have rather large mountains that tend to get in your way when going from a to b!

I agree with Pore - stay in Luzern (easy and fast to get to from the ZRH airport as well) and see all there is to see around the lake there. Then take the train to Paris via Basel and stop off in Basel for a few hours to see a really beautiful city with a stunning old town!

Hopefully this will tempt you to come back and stay longer next time!!

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland for 2 days in June

Agree with the other replies...

Lucerne is a great city, and you can go up Mt. Pilates very easily from there. Trip will take most of a day, but don't bother if it isn't sunny. On Pilates there is an Alpine slide, rope course, playgrounds, fantastic views, and the gondola rides up are fun if you have never been in one!

Glacier Garden is great for the kids if a rainy day.

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switzerland for 2 days in June

Agree with the other replies...

Lucerne is a great city, and you can go up Mt. Pilates very easily from there. Trip will take most of a day, but don't bother if it isn't sunny. On Pilates there is an Alpine slide, rope course, playgrounds, fantastic views, and the gondola rides up are fun if you have never been in one!

Glacier Garden is great for the kids if a rainy day.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switzerland for 2 days in June

Pore, Travelling_Ducky,

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I would've loved to go to Jungfraujoch but Luzerne sounds wonderful as well!

Hambagahle,

I am already regretting not having planned better, I already made reservations in Paris before I planned the Switzerland portion of our trip. I am sure we will return for Jungfrau and Zermatt.

Edited: 12:06 pm, April 14, 2012
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,275 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switzerland for 2 days in June

I hope you do return!! I am sure you will.

And BTW it is not Mt Pilates which is a sort of exercise (!) but Pilatus. There is a difference...

Bowmanville, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Switzerland for 2 days in June

WE will be arriving in Switzerland from Austria by car, We have two days to explore. My original thoughts were a typical chalet accommodations. Then stay in Lusanne and do a boat cruise I am not much of a city gal love nature. Anything you suggest would help!!! I love castles architecture. Medival villages. Anything you can do to help would be appreciated. So much to choose from no time.

Janice

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,275 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Switzerland for 2 days in June

Hi Janice and welcome to TA!

2 days is not much for Switzerland. And sadly you are not going to find a rental chalet for only two nights. BUT you can choose a "chalet type" hotel, of which there are many. I would strongly suggest that you choose one place to stay, and dont try to do a lot - just walk around the area, for example.

Forget Lausanne. It is a large city and mostly for business and shopping for locals. Boat cruise on lakes you can do from lots of places.

Maybe drive to Weggis or Vitznau on Lake Luzern? Stay there for your two nights. Go up Mt Rigi. Take your boat cruise. Easy to get to from the north east (ie Austria) if you come via Zürich and then to Luzern and around.

Look at www.myswitzerland.com for lots of info and good links. And www.luzern.ch for local info. Our "resident expert" on Luzern is "Pore". He will be able to answer almost any question you have in great detail!!

BTW where are you going after Switzerland??

9. Re: Switzerland for 2 days in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 22, 2014